Morning Glory Starting to sprout

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by gardennut, Apr 7, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

How much more do these seeds need to sprout before I can put them in a pot? I have 3 as you can see, although I can't remember whether it is Scarlet O'Hara or Flying Saucers. Could I just plant them in one pot and let them grow into one happy mess? I have plenty of seeds to plant outdoors, but I have had luck with growing them indoors and they actually bloom too! I thought maybe I could put them into a medium pot and kind of let them spill over the sides, would that be a good idea?

[​IMG]
    morning glory seeds ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

2. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yay!! :setc_005: I just love those little sprouts!!! I've never had any luck putting them in a pot :-? Because they grow upwards, they don't spill over very good :) If you have a spot outside where they can climb I bet they'll really surprise you :p Watch out for frost though, those big, tender leaves can get burnt really quickly, when you least expect it! :eek:

3. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I know what mean about climbing fast, I have a trellis in front of my house and they climb all the way to the top and over the top! I just get impatient for summer so I start them indoors, I have even had them bloom while indoors. They are fast when they start though.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am very impatient waiting on summer!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They are ready to get things going...those seeds.
    I daren't plant mine yet as there is still a few weeks of uncertainty over here. We say here--"April does what it will". translated literally. That basically means that it is not too late or too early for ANYTHING. Because it can still frost, I cannot prepare my seeds yet.

I am so encouraged to see that you have begun yours already. Perhaps a wee bit jealous. hahaha. I can't wait to see their flowers.

6. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

lucky growing flowers

I have had good luck with just about anything I grow, I am having trouble with my calla lilies. I only have one sprout and it does not seem to grow very much at all, it does a little bit, but not very fast. And my Moon Flowers are presenting a challenge too, I have one outside and two indoors, the one is a teeny bit weak-looking, I may get rid of it, the other is already close to a set of true leaves! Should I put a stick in the stronger one for it to climb on now, or wait a while?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I use a small "rack"-like structure, or at least three sticks and some twine...if I do not, the morning glories become all tangled with eachother. I plan to plant some inside and some outside in the place where they will grow. One is the insurance should the other one not work. If they BOTH work, then I will have a luxurious mass of the flowers over the arch....it's a win-win scenario, y'know.

Well that is a lot of waffling only to say, "yes. I would place a stick (or something) for the plantlet to climb up". :)

8. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Morning glories tangled up together

Is there really any reason not to let them get tangled together? I was planning on keeping them indoors all the time and I think they would look good all messed up together. I have quite a few already planted from last year, I just let the seeds fall wherever they want to, there is Heavenly Blue outside by the trellis and they DO love to climb.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I see. Well in that case there would be no problem. I thought that you planned on putting them outdoors. :oops: oops.

I guess that the question is--do you intend to let them climb indoors ot will you plant them in a suspended hanger? Just curious.

10. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

morning glories

I'll just let them climb indoors, I usually tie a string to something high and let them climb it. I put the lamp where it will be higher than the pot and let them go.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Man, that sounds a good plan to me. I'll bet that you will get a great deal of pleasure from them.

Do post some piccies when they are blooming, oké?

12. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

13 years ago i bought a 10 cent pkg of morning glory seeds. Pink, blue and purple. I was so excited. It grew up and over the basketball net and B l o o m e d!!!
    It was stupendous.
    I am now ready to bomb the yard. No matter what i do i cannot get rid of the things. They intertwine with everything, choking the bushes. The birds eat the seeds and replant them everywhere they poop.
    I am sorry i planted them!! Invasive invasive invasive...
    I have spent more $$ and TIME trying to kill them off. .10 cent plant from the DARK side.
    I hope you have better luck with them.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee hee hee....."A 10¢ plant from the Dark Side". :D

I don't know why, but that just struck me as hilarious.

I have had a similar experience in the garden, but after a couple of years, I got them all out. Now, I'm going to do it all over again...Nuts 'er wot.

Ach, I sometimes have these lapses in judgement. I need some to cover a new arch cum tunnel-ette.
    Now that I know what to expect, I can combat their spread in a different way.

....."A plant from the Dark Side"...ROARRRRRRRRR.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  14. Tina

Tina Young Pine

LOL!!
    I plant a couple of morning glories every year in a pot and love the blue flowers. The blooming season here is very short though.