mosaic bowling balls?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by angmf2233, Nov 7, 2008.

1. angmf2233

angmf2233 Seedling

Has anyone tried making glass covered bowling balls for their yard? I am working on my first one with small pieces of broken mirror. Sure hope it turns out ok, its taking a few months as I don't have alot of time to work on it. Will soon be ready to grout it next, wish me luck!

2. Loading...

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I think several people have tried this using the half marbles. Check under Hobbies, then Garden Junk. Good luck on your project and how about posting a picture of your finished work.

4. sheeva

sheeva New Seed

Good Idea

Too heavy for me though. I don't know what other material you can use for something like that though but I have seen this lady back in the day making a mirror ball using a styrofoam ball. I guess that's not advisable if you are going to have it in the garden though. :D

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni has used a styrofoam ball. I agree that the bowling balls with all the half-marbles and grout, make it very heavy. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Crafty Gardener

Crafty Gardener Seedling

I've made the gazing balls using bowling balls and the flat sided marbles. Yes, they turn out heavy, but once placed in the garden there is no worry that the wind will blow them away or they will get knocked over by squirrels. Here is a link to my blog and some that I have made.
    http://craftygardener.blogspot.com/search/label/gazing balls

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My styrofoam ball is still doing just fine out in the garden even after a very hot, dry summer.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about9532.html

I painted it with black FolkArt brand outdoor paint and glued the half marbles on with Liquid Nails. If you don't have a spikey thing to hold it like I did, then use a short piece of rebar or any other thin metal or plastic short rod. If you have an old metal round curtain rod you could use that, I love using what I have on hand instead of throwing it away.
    Poke a hole in the ball so you will know where it will be mounted and not glue decorations on that area, when it is all finished push the rod into the ground and slip the ball down on it.
    The depth of the hole in the ball would be determined by how large the ball is, but I wouldn't go further in than half the diameter of the ball.