Moving Asparagus

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Nov 2, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was wondering if anyone has moved their established asparagus bed? I have one that is bearing well, but it is in a place that is inhibiting the airflow in the garden and would like to move it. any suggestions?

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

carolyn, I moved mine a few years ago and half faded away the next year. It was the older that faded. Someone once told me it was the lack of fertilizers and the new area placed that killed off the older ones.

IDK but I have plenty in my freezer for the next year and then I can figure it out.

Now I only have my young stuff to produce next year to save.

Barb in Pa.

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn I googled moving asparagus beds. Came up with a lot of info. One thing that was stressed is to be sure you try and not damage the roots to much. Also they said that one should not move them in the spring. Hopes that helps some. :rolleyes: :stew2:

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I moved mine 2 Falls ago and hopefully it comes up on it's own next Spring but I doubt it cause there was no evidence of growth last Summer. I will replant now stuff next year if nothing springs up in the Spring.

Barb in Pa.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Moving asparagus is generally not a good idea. Asparagus takes two-three years to establish and bear for harvesting. When you move an asparagus crown, it is the equivalent of starting from a one or two year crown, and you'll have to wait to harvest. In addition, some of the crowns will just wither and die.
    If you are worried about the airflow, can you cut or thin the fronds after the spring harvest? Leave enough to build strength in the crowns for next year, but perhaps take out 1/3 of the fronds to allow more air flow?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

These are the thoughts I was thinking... Not a great idea. I don't think thinning is a workable idea. There are two beds one purple one green about 10 ft apart. then there are 6 apple trees (most of which, I think, are going to be fire wood next year) that really stops the air circulation in the lower part of the garden. :( thanks for all the input. It was just a thought.