My Aussie garden is doing very well

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by chocolate, Mar 18, 2011.

1. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, I have been reading and watching progress in your gardens over there and thought some of you might be interested in what is going on in gardens over this side of the world.....today I harvested cucumbers, sweet potatoes[2 var] tomatoes and raspberries.We are coming into autumn....winter is 1st June,but here on Gold Coast we dont have a big variation of temperatures, so we can grow and harvest some things all the year.

[​IMG]
    2 types of sweet potato ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    cucumbers ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    raspberries...yummmmm. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I for one am quite interested in what you've got going on in your garden there. I reckon that the summer is winding down a bit there by now as spring begins here.

I recall that area where you live from when I was travelling around Oz. I went through there in fact on my way northwards up to a little park near Bundeberg where one could watch sea turtles coming ashore and laying their eggs at night. I think the park was called Mon Repos, or something like that.

At any rate, your piccies are a delight to see and it sort of gives one hope of things to come.
    Thanks for the fotos.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those do look very tasty.... especially the raspberries!

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Does the purple sweet potato have a variety name Chocolate?

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, thankyou all for the nice comments, and Toni for putting me right[I am new to this]
    Yes Jerry that purple coloured potato is Haiwaiian Gold,the taste is very nice...cooks up just like the other types...goes a bit dark when cooked but does not affect the taste.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Those raspberries tempt me greatly. Looks like some splendid, sunny weather there Chocolate.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Yuuummmm, raspberries and sweet potatoes. :stew1: Wouldn't mind a sliced fresh cuke about now either.

Like the edging for your raised bed. Have been trying to figure out what to use that wouldn't rot away, or be too expensive. Doesn't look like it would hide slugs too much either like wood tends to.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It is a nice edging that Jewell commented on. I was noticing the supportive fencing that the cukes are growing on. Seeing all that sun is making me pretty antsy for Spring.

10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Garden edging

Good morning, yes Jewell the edging is great,I by it in a 3mtr[10'] roll from the hardware store,flexible and has a nice top edge so that it is not sharp, the cucumber trellis is a sheet of 100m wire mesh from the demolition yard, it is so handy ,it is a permanent fixture in my patch now.I use it for beans peas and even tie tomatoes to it if nothing else is using it.
    We have little lizards here that take care of slugs and snails....we also have a native australian snail that eats the other snails....nature is amazing isnt it?

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I didn't even notice the edging until now! And even though I don't want to see snail eating snails.. you're absolutely right... nature is indeed amazing!

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Raspberries! Oh yummy. I won't see those for another four to five months I'm afraid. I've never tasted sweet potatoes, or not to my knowledge. I have to find some and try them soon.

13. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Sweet Potato

Thankyou Droopy for your comment,sweet potatoes are the easiest vegie to grow,buy a good eating one at the fruit and vegie shop,cut it in half and put cutsides down into 1/2inch of water in a container,after afew days new shoots wiil grow from top of potato.....when they reach 6-8' take them off carefully[maybe several] and plant them in good growing soil,they like warmth and a few months to form decent size,after harvest leave them on top of the ground in the sun to dry out a little....boiled,mashed or roasted YUMMMMM!.

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Growing sweetpotatoes here? Now let's see: We rarely have any warmth in summer, usually temps are between 12° to 18°, but we do have a lot of rain. Our summer's approximately three months long (if we're lucky and aren't stuck with the 12° and rain) and last year we had one week of above 20°C temps, and those days were not in a row mind. :D

If we luck out we might get a couple of months with temps around or above 20° like the summer before last, but those arrive once in a blue moon... I think I'll buy those sweet potatoes at the shop and not try to make a carreer of growing them. :D

15. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good evening,
    I cant imagine living where there is not much summer,we came from N.Z. 30yr ago,one of the reasons was the cold climate,but your climate sounds a lot colder than even that,Today it was 30c and a lovely breeze...good gardening weather,maybe a little too hot but we had rain in the evening but the good part is when it rains it does not get very cold,if you dont mind getting wet...just keep on keeping on.

16. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Chocolate, you have convinced me to try sweet potatoes. We tried three years before success with potatoes, so why not try the sweet potatoes.

Frank, I visited your area in the late 80s and loved it.