My Emerald Thuja :-( looks super sick to me not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Florida_Michael, Dec 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Florida_Michael

Florida_Michael New Seed

Hello,

First time poster and first time with this type of landscaping.

I had my yard redone with a big overhaul of landscaping. I live in Florida (9a/9b) area. I validated that the Emerald Thuja should work fine in my area and I have 2 planted as they essentially look like small Christmas trees.

But one of them looks really bad to me and I would love thoughts on what I should do. Here are pictures of both. One I think is fine, but has brown/gold near the trunk, where the other just l looks like its dying.

Tree 1: The Sick one
    I cannot remember if I noticed it getting sicker when the cold started, or if it was before, because it just seemed like one day bam, it looked lik this :-( and I love them so want to help them.
    SickThuja1-Smaller.jpg
    SickThuja2-smaller.jpg

Tree 2: I think its healthy
    SickThujaHealthy1-smaller.jpg
    SickThujaHealthy2-smaller.jpg

I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions for saving my tree(s).

Have a great day and a happy holiday
    -michael

2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I don't know about your Thugas, but welcome to Garden Stew!

i agree with you that one looks sick snd the other maybe OK, but I am in a very different climate and also haven't grown Thugas.

I hope someone else will have a better answer. Good luck!

4. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Main problem with growing conifers is. Not enough water is reaching the roots. This water problem can have far reaching effects when conifers are growing too close to dwellings. In this instance, the roots will search deep for moisture resulting in the foundations of buildings crumbling.
    In your case the evidence shows that the roots are grossly lacking water. Concerning the foliage browning etc. This can be cut off. Unlike with many other conifers, new growth will develop.
    Hope this helps.

Logan likes this.
  5. Florida_Michael

Florida_Michael New Seed

thank you @MIKE ALLEN , so much for the 7thousand in new irrigation :-(

If I might ask you a stupid question, is that only for the 1st tree, or for both? I wasn't sure the second had anything wrong.

Thanks again!!