My neighbor moved Lilies growing in poison ivy for me.

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by gardennut, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

tiger lilies replanted

I wanted some tiger lilies one time but did not have a abundance of sunshine in the front where I could enjoy them, so I planted them in the backyard, only problem was that on the maple tree there was a mess of poison ivy and I got it! It was suggested by my hubby that I not go in the backyard anymore, so I had to watch my tiger lilies grow through binoculars. But, one of our neighbors knows how much I love my flowers, he dug a hole went into the backyard, dug up the lilies and planted them in the front. Now I can watch them grow and bloom without having to be afraid of the poison ivy. Here is what they look like, I am so happy now!!!

[​IMG]
    tiger lilies ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

Jewell, Donna S and donna in nc like this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

GN--Goats do a good job of cleaning out poison ivy. :D If you happen to have some around.....

3. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Tiger and Asiatic lilies

Can someone tell me if it is going to bloom soon? I took this picture today and I think(notice I said thnk)! That it is going to bloom soon, can someone help me out by telling me if it is going to show off.

[​IMG]
    asiatic lily getting ready to bloom? ( photo / image / picture from gardennut's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

One or two days and you'll have a lovely bloom! That is a bud just ready to open.
    Your neighbor is so kind!
    If you wish, you can kill the ivy without harming your maple. Wear protective clothing, including a face mask; with long-handled loppers, cut the base of the vine; paint the stump with an herbicide; when the vine in the tree dies, pull it out, again wearing protective clothing and a mask. The herbicide painting may have to be done two or three times, but it is worth the effort!

Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You'll be showing us a few photographs of your Tiger lily in bloom any time now GN. I'm so glad your neighbour moved it for you so that you can enjoy it.

donna in nc likes this.
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That was nice of your neighbor. Can't wait to see that bud open up. :stew2:

7. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

asiatic lily

The picture I showed you is not the tiger lily, it is the asiatic lily that the squirrel or whatever planted. It is really getting bright and my one neighbor has one and I smelled it and it has a slight fragrance but you have to really get your nose in there to smell it. He has one or two and they are gorgeous! I really will be on picture overload when it blooms!!!

8. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I heard that if you have a goat eat the poison ivy and then drink it's milk, you can build up an immunity to poison ivy, is that true? Has anyone heard of that or tried it?
    I second the goats, they eat anything and everything, and they will pull it all out. You'll get more done with them than if you try to do it yourself. You will probably miss some roots, whereas goats won't miss a thing within their reach.
    If you can't do the goats, definitely do the herbicide, but don't let it go because it will spread far and fast. When you clean it up, be careful. Even when it is dead, you can still be infected by it.
    Poison Ivy is terrible. I also heard each time you get it, the symptoms increase. Be careful.