My New Trellises

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Frugalkate, May 6, 2011.

1. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

Well I recently put in 3 Trellises and the last one has a raised bed attached to it that I plan on growing veggies or flowers in it. Right now I have lettuce growing in it and planted some morning glory from seed to be able to climb up the trellis and provide me with some much needed privacy.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Frugalkate's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your trellises look fantastic Kate. :-D

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Kate, they look very nice. Maybe some cukes or melons on the last trellis would give you both privacy and food, if you are open to suggestions and if they face south or west. The flowers are pretty though. Sweet Peas would give you color and fragrance all day, too. :stew2:

4. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

They face south and I would love to put in cukes, melons, etc. Unfortunately the neighbor on the other side has a "boundry" or rather a lack of one issue. It would be one thing if the person just asked, but these ones have taken it upon themselves to just take without asking and act is if eveyone else's property is an extension of their own. So I don't want to be giving them any "free" food if you know what I mean. The morning glory will work just fine for now I think.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well thats too bad for you. I also like poison ivy. It's beautiful. One of my favorites.

cindjo717 likes this.
  6. Frugalkate

Frugalkate Seedling

I hear ya on the Poison Ivy :D but they have young kids that are still toucing and putting in their mouths everything they see and that's the last thing I need with that lot next door :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. There's probably ones like this lot in every neighborhood unfortunately. Now I know what the wife really ment when they first moved in and she stated that they were so happy to have nice neighbors cause they didn't get along with their neighbors in the last place they lived. Of course her and her husband don't ever think it's them though ;)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My neighbor told me that when he was younger (which would have been a really long time ago) they used to EAT the first 2 leaves of the poison ivy in the spring, then they didn't get poison ivy the rest of the growing season. Which I thought was a really cool idea, but I am not allergic to it, so I couldn't try it to confirm this. He did it until "one year when I got kind of sloppy while eating it, and ended up with it all over my face". He said that it really worked.
    Yah, I hear ya, though. It's too bad you can't plant what you want and not have to worry over it or someone elses children being safe. :stew1:

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Your trellis' look great. Too bad about your neighbors Kate ... good luck!

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Kate,
    those trellis should help with the privacy,..and the "Morning Glory" will grow fast enough and add to the privacy,..i know what you mean about next door infringing on your area and of course not wanting to feed them by growing anything edible,..i had a neighbor like that many years ago,..in the end i planted thorny bushes,lol.

10. cindjo717

cindjo717 Seedling

They really look great! I agree that will provide tons of privacy and from what I hear, you need it! :-D

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The trellis look so nice, neat and pretty. If I were in your situation with the neighbors... I'd plant morning glories too. They grow so fast and provide you with beautiful color while also adding some privacy.

12. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

I too, like the look of your trellis, I'm not sure if the jasmines grow and stay green in your area, but the white blooming one is evergreen in Louisiana and grows quite rapidly, and very thickly. The flowers, Jasmine as the name suggests, smell divine ( Star Jasmine (Multiflorum),