My "small" garden!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My small garden has 14 tomato plants with tomatoes already getting big, 3 eggplants, two the long purple and one white. One purple one has an eggplant on it. About 12 cucumber plants that should start climbing the fence. I'll have to tie them at first I think. They are already blooming. There are four jalapeno pepper plants and 4 banana pepper plants, 4 yellow crookneck squash plants, 4 zucchini plants, two pots of sweet basil, a tub of spicy globe basil, a rosemary bush, a row of pole beans and a tub with swiss chard. My tubs of lettuce and spinach need replanted. We used what grew early. Now, that's in the backyard. It's full up so to the front yard. Since it's a mess and my plans for it are all awry I put down some more black plastic and planted 10 more squash plants, some cherry tomatoes and some rutger tomatoes. These are still very small. I, also, planted a dozen iris that a friend sent me from Louisiana. Toni's iris are in the corner of the backyard garden. They bloomed this year, but not all of them. There are also 10 red blaze climbing roses, one bush rose, a confederate jasmine, a Carolina jasmine and two purpleleaf honeysuckle planted by the fence. So,my "small" grew and grew and grew. Now, why did I have to go to our farmer friend's today and pick beets and yellow squash. Next week, he'll let me pick green beans. It is nice to have friends.
    dooley

cherylad likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. hummerbum
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. mart
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

you sound like you have got a lot packed in there. Kinda sounds like how mine is gonna be soon, i plan on having a lot going this year.

Sometimes i think i get ahead of myself but im determined to get things going, if i have extra.....i'll find somewhere to put it....hopefully.

Just to give you an example, im not sure if your familiar with my little area i garden in in my yard due to shade, well....i have 27 different tomato varieties in seed form right now and around 9-10 peppers. I wont even list all the other stuff i plan to do but how crazy do you think it is that no one in my household even eats peppers or tomatoes lol.

I do it for the love of growing.....i guess i would change the planting types if i was living off the land but i just love to grow toms.. :)

4. dooley

There is just myself and dr here to eat all the stuff we planted. But, we have neighbors with kids and we have a local farm market where I sell garden aprons. We are supposed to be slowing down because we are 70 yrs old now. But, what do you do when you slow down. We don't watch tv, but we both read. I volunteer two mornings a week at the library but still there are times when there are just too many things to do.
    dooley

5. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i totally understand you and im half your age. Lots of things to do and i run out of energy at times.....so i try to do a lil everyday.

How long have you been gardening? I just found out about Ruth Stout yesterday and she got a late start. When did you start?

Advertisement
  6. dooley

Well, until I was about 8 or 9 years old we lived on a farm. I do not remember not gardening. We picked potatoes bugs and pulled weeds from when we could walk. We had a large farm garden. I don't think I ever lived anywhere where we did not have a garden, even if it was a "small" one. Last year when we were moving to a smaller place I planted everything in pots. I've had gardens in Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona and now, Texas. In Arizona and Texas we can have two gardens a year. I don't plant a big winter garden because I'm not a cold weather person and even in Arizona and Texas there are winter seasons where I find it cold. So, I guess you could say I've been gardening for about 65 years more or less. I'm not sure you could call the beginning years gardening but they were learning years.
    dooley

cherylad likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Your gardens sound lovely Dooley...you sure have accomplished a lot since your move. Pictures? :D

8. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

you've definitely put you r garden time in Dooley but to me its a joy as im sure to you it is.....especially with the rewards.

Too bad you can figure out to post pics....do you have a digital camera at all?