my winter project

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by majorcatfish, Feb 5, 2017.

1. majorcatfish

majorcatfish New Seed

knowing darn good well in advance our 2016 tax return was going to suck and my new garden tractor was out of the question..... HUSQVARNA GT48XLSI 48" 24HP
    mower.jpg

so over the last 4 months have been rebuilding my 2000 garden tractor, been ordering every critical part that i can think of to keep her going another 4 years.... down to the last couple items... kind of sad looking now
    DSC_0005.JPG
    but she sure has mowed and worked the property over the years, a true work horse.
    shame that mtd quite making a great g/t... really how mant g/t do you know that can handle these attachments these days....
    tractor 1.jpg
    tractor 2.jpg
    and have a sexy operator to boot<well according to the dw>
    DSC_0005.JPG
    any way one of the employees down at work that was hired last summer, his mother works at the regional parts distributors for mtd parts. so able to get parts for the girl at cost..
    so yes it's like the six million dollar... going to keep rebuilding her.

on my wish list is a new engine and trans-axle will get prices next week sometime..!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Hilda12
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. lawnmowerwizard
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My husband tears our lawn tractors apart every winter and fixes them up for the following season. I have often asked why he doesn't sell them ALL and buy a new, bigger machine. He says that new machines aren't built like the old ones and that new things are built to break. He's the one cutting the grass and fixing the mowers, so I just let it be.

majorcatfish likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wise move Netty. Never get in between a man and his machines!! ;) Actually he's right modern mowers aren't a patch on the older ones and certainly aren't built to last as long.

majorcatfish likes this.
  5. majorcatfish

majorcatfish New Seed

this is very true.. you ladys get your nails and hair done.let the men rebuild the mowers....lol
    the new mowers either lawn or garden tractors are not worth the money.but you have to have them unless you want a hay field.

would love to have a zero turn but have to win the lottery first.....

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I also would love to have a zero turn. But then my hubby might get carried away and mow more of our 8 acre's that we do now. I am a true conservationist and we only mow what we really need to. We leave our pasture area grow up wild and wooly since we do not have any animals now to graze it. That way the birds and butterflies have good stuff to eat, and a place to hide. We have had a lot more Milk Weed growing which I love to see and smell as it helps the Monarch Butterflies.
    As for my hubby fixing up stuff-----only if it has died. Oh well. There is always the mechanic in town.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Funny, I never saw this thread, but I think we wave an older zero turn than anybody in the county. I think it must be at least 20 years old. has had a new engine put on it new tires, it needs a new deck.. I can see a hole and it is plugged with grass and debris... the blower on the bagger sounds like it shouldn't be running but *shrug* when it breaks we will replace the blower. My ingersol though? what a piece of junk!. I bet it has less than 200 hours on it. we bought it with about 100 hours. it drips . it clicks. it dies. has had the carb rebuilt (almost needed a loan for that... anything onan is expensive!) my brother spent 7 hours taking off a hydraulic hose making a new one and trying to get it back on. he never did get it back on. kevin and I did though. as soon as we got it back on we found another hose dripping. sheesh! it cranks and cranks to start and I usually flood it before I get it going... had a wire rub and caused it to die as Kevin was starting to spray across the road one day. oh joy!....not. glad it didn't die on the road. it had a 20 gallon sprayer tank full on it.