Nails

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Nov 13, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Admittedly this is a question for the ladies, but I'd appreciate it if a few guys chimed in.
    What is with black/blue/multishade fingernails? The black ones look like you slammed the car door on your fingers (ditto some of the blue shades) and the multishade ones look like you couldn't make up your mind. You can tell from these comments I really don't like the painted talons that seem to be fashionable now.
    What do you think--attractive or not? Would you invest $40 or more in your fingernails? Guys, do you find this pretty or creepy?
    I confess to having no polish on my nails--somehow it gets scraped off weeding, digging, etc.:smt120

Henry Johnson and Tooty2shoes like this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I quit using nail polish many years ago when I realized the reason my nails were peeling off in layers was because I am allergic to the red dyes used in them.
    I wouldn't pay that much for anyone to do my nails in colors or clear but if the younger (and I emphasize younger) gals want to do that then it doesn't bother me one bit. Why should it? The colored nails are an accessory for gals just like colored earrings or necklaces so if that's what they want to wear then it is not for me to say anything other than go for it if it makes you feel good.

Shoot, if I wasn't afraid my nails would fall off from the allergy, I would love to wear the black, maybe the green, and the silver would be a hoot. I do believe those strong colors look better on long nails, they make short nails look stubby...but then I have always like longer nails.

Ronni likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The only time my nails have any colour to them is when they're covered in mud or grass stains!! I wouldn't spend $40, or more, having them done that's for sure.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

I only paint my nails very occasionally - say for an event, and even then, only if I feel they are looking too rough to go "nude" :scheming:
    On those occasions, it's usually a last minute decision, and I slap on a quick coat, myself, because i can't imagine anywhere that I'd enjoy less than a nail salon - for one thing I'd be bored out of my mind, and for another, I'd feel sick for a week from the smell of all the chemicals.

As for "artsy" colors and finishes on other people's nails, I'm not bothered by that
    - EXCEPT -
    for those extremely long nails that some people grow, and I'm talking about the ones that begin to re-curve, if you know what I mean? :confused: Now those things actually turn my stomach.

carolyn and Tooty2shoes like this.

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Eileen I have the same kind of finger nails. Plus it's free. I have in the past had my nails done for Christmas. I mean having the fake ones put on at a salon and then polished. But since I am not use to having nails longer than the end of my fingers. I always ended up hurting myself with them. So I figured it was in my best interest if I do not have my nails any longer than just nubs. Sometimes I even gouge my self with those. :headscratch:

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was at a hospital a few years ago in the waiting room... I thought I was going to heave looking at how long (recurved) some lady's nails gotten. HOW do you do anything useful... even wipe something.. eww yuck! with those things. but my oh my did she spend a small fortune on them. they were as lacquered as a chinese table.

zuzu's petals likes this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Ehm... what's that word? Nail polish? Unknown to me. :smt081 Oh wait, it's the stuff I use to mark my fence posts at the stables! Weather resistant and durable to boot. The vet almost had a fit when I dug through my storage cupboard looking for tweezers and came up with a bottle of nail polish. He had a good laugh when I told him what I use it for. He's no fan of multi-coloured fingernails either. But sometimes I have to admire the creativity of my girls:

[​IMG]

leafylady, Ronni, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  8. toni

That's fun and everyone needs something fun in their daily lives, be it a favorite comedian or funky nail polish art. Great job girls!!

Ronni and zuzu's petals like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have to admit those nail coloring jobs are pretty neat!
    About those recurved talons--I remember reading somewhere that Cher couldn't dress herself because she couldn't manage buttons or zippers with her ultra-long fingernails. I was paying for something at Wal-Mart, and the checker had to use a pencil to tap the register keys. Her fingernails had to be 2 inches long! No way could she get her finger to the key. Her nails were so shiny and hard-looking that you could have skated on them!

Ronni likes this.
  10. toni

For hundreds of years in Asian cultures long nails on men and women were to signify that they were wealthy or powerful enough to not have to do manual labor. They have also been a symbol of royality and practicality....they can be used for all sorts of purposes. Some old customs make a comeback in the circle of life and it looks like super long fingernails is one of them.

Ronni likes this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I can do the left hand alright but when it comes to doing the right hand using my left hand ....forget it..

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I love long nails. I wish I were able to grow my nails beyond my fingertips...but sadly, no matter how much I've tried, how good my nutrition is, what supplements I take or what I apply to my nails, they just won't grow very long at all without splitting and tearing.

I think that any polish other than soft, natural colors doesn't look as good on short nails as it does on long ones. I personally don't mind at all the huge selection of colors in polish these days...and I'm just anal enough that if I had long nails, I'd be matching my nail polish color to my outfit, in the same way that I match my jewelry to what I'm wearing. ;)

So I don't do much at all with my own nails...I keep them trimmed, short and shaped because that's really the only option I have. For a while, when I was younger, I actually had acrylic nails and I loved the way that made my hands look. They weren't horribly long or anything, (I had kids after all) just a bit beyond my finger tips. I could still type and do all the things, but I so loved to be able to change the polish color and wear rings so that the bling drew attention to my hands.

Now though, I content myself with pedicures....lots of choices there too for nail color!

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

When I was younger I was blessed with extremely hard nails that were nicely shaped. I kept them semi-long and always polished. Then, age, medications and diabetes took that away. Now I keep them short, polished but with very natural colors. I don't really want to draw attention to them but sill want them to look nice. My grand-daughter though (age 15) really goes for the funky colors and uses 2 or 3 different colors. All I can say is they are bright and cheerful and makes her happy.

Ronni likes this.