Nasty weed, or useful flower?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by marlingardener, Oct 13, 2010.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nichole,
    Lantanas can be propagated by pegging down a long stem. Just scratch the underside of the stem for about 1" so that green shows, peg it down (I often use a handy rock to secure it) so the scratched area is in good contact with the earth, water it a bit, and usually it will develop roots. When the roots are sufficient, you can lop off the stem, prune it and plant it somewhere else.

2. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Maybe that's what I did wrong, lol. I tried a couple of times, but really 'babied' the cutting, and I did'nt expose any wick except it's cut base. I'll have to try that, TY Marlin.
    Any suggestions with the seed? My husband keeps mowing down the bush, and I keep begging him not to. The very question the original poster of this thread was asking...i consider it a lovely butterfly plant, he thinks it's a weed.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nicole,
    If you gather seed in the fall and plant it in the spring when the soil is warm, you should get some new plants. If you want to start them inside you can do that, too, but we warned that germination is spotty and can take up to a month. Some seeds are more viable than others, and the viablility also varies from year to year on the same plant.
    Lantanas can be moved in the winter. They are highly transplantable and can even be divided. Perhaps you could move yours to a spot where your husband wouldn't give it regular haircuts! The alternative is that you do the mowing, which I do not recommend!

4. herbmate

herbmate New Seed

I tell you it is true that many people consider lantana a weed, but for any of you brown thumbers out their this is a plant that can be compared to the terminator. IT can't be stopped! It actually is a very nice butterfly attractant as well.

Advertisement