Need Advice - Flowers or Flowering Plants on Sidewalk

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by danielclark, Jul 6, 2009.

1. danielclark

danielclark New Seed

Hi Everyone

I'm in Brooklyn, NY.

The City of New York just planted a tree in front of my house. They dug and prepared a 4' x 6' area for the tree. I would like to plant some flowers or flowering plants ( not too tall & very low maintenance) in the the area beneath the tree.

I'm not a gardener and don't know much about flowers, but I do love to look at them. Please give me some ideas of what I could plant.

Thank you in advance.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are many bedding plants that you can buy Daniel that would look lovely underneath a tree. Petunias, impatiens, marigolds, dianthus and phlox are just some examples. I wouldn't buy perennials though as the City of New Yok might not approve of permanent planting under the tree.

Welcome to GardenStew and I hope you'll stay with us and let us know what plants you decide to buy. :stew2:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew.

Do you own that strip of land? If the city owns it they usually don't like anyone planting on it without permission at least. If they come by to water the tree it won't be with a gentle hose-end sprayer, it will be with a water truck that sprays water from a pipe onto the ground and any plants you have out there might not survive that type of treatment.
    Just a couple of things you might want to check out.