Netty's gardens - August 9

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Netty, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Today is pickling day! When I went out to pick some dill this morning, I grabbed the camera and had a look around the garden. I honestly have been so busy this summer that I haven't had time to do much in the gardens other than a quick run through to harvest.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Netty's Garden )
    I have 2 rows of tomatoes this year. One row is tomatoes for eating, and the other for canning. When you see the eating row, you wonder how there can be any tomatoes through all that foliage.
    [​IMG]
    Upon further inspection, there are clusters of tomatoes everywhere!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will have to follow Sjoerds advice and nip off all the suckers or they may just never ripen!
    The canning tomatoes are a mixture of Roma and Sicilian Saucer tomatoes. The Sicilian Saucers are very large, oddly shaped tomatoes with few seeds and lots of delicious flesh. They are great for slicing as well as canning and the first one is almost ripe.
    [​IMG]
    Found a couple of beets where the salad mix used to be. I'm not sure what to do with a couple of beets just yet, but I am going to have to pull them soon.
    [​IMG]
    The cucumbers have a small trellis to climb this year and are doing well.
    [​IMG]
    No matter how thoroughly you look thru the vines, you always find one you missed.
    [​IMG]
    Kale and Cabbage doing well. I have been watching for worms and so they are removed before too much damage is done.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the onions are almost ready and I have started folding down a few tops
    [​IMG]
    Here is the Cucamelon patch/ There are 4 plants, 2 on each tower.
    [​IMG]
    They have been producing a lot and so I finally have enough to pickle - only because my oldest daughter is away this weekend of they would have been gobbled up already!
    I will also be making some garlic dill pickles today. The second bowl of little cucs is out in the fridge in the garage.
    [​IMG]
    It's going to be another busy day in the kitchen!
    I leave you with a few shots from the flower gardens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sjoerd, eileen, Frank and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Beautiful and yummy looking.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your vegetable garden looks great with so many good things to eat. :setc_084: Your flowers are so pretty and I love the way you designed the beds. I like the mix of perennials and annuals.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I wonder why I'm thinking salad. Great flowers!! Strange, I keep wanting a salad....

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your garden is always so lovely this time of the year, I envy your long season of temperatures that let the flowers bloom such a long time.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ahh Netty it's always such a pleasure when you take us on a tour of your garden. Everything looks so good and, like Jerry, I now can't help thinking about salads. I must raid the 'fridge and see what's in there. Your flower garden is such a delight with so much colour and beautiful blooms.

8. Netty

Thanks everyone. I am most pleased with the veggie patch this year. I have been eating well and canning a lot too. Once the tomatoes start ripening, I will have to allot a day for canning them. The flower beds are feeling a little neglected this year as I spend most of my time out with the veggies. The annuals keep the color going most of the season out there Toni, as long as I remember to deadhead.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Golly-Gee, Netty--I don't know what to say about your garden pics. I'm just too gob-smacked. I enjoyed this posting so much. I am so glad that you thought to take the camera along today.

It began right away with the cleverly-worded sign on your garden gate. I had a great big smile from ear to ear. Not only are you a top gardener, but also a clever cloggs to boot!

The veggie coverage was splendid. I know how it is to miss what we call, "lurkers", like that courgette. Beans do it as well, I have noticed. Gurrrrrrr.

The toms are looking good and I was particularly interested in that yellowish-orange one--"Sicilian Saucer", I believe you called it. I am looking for a good tomato for canning like that one. I shall have to look that one up. Is that it's full name?

Good cue harvest. That pickling ought to keep you busy, along with the processing of all the rest.

The rose was gorgeous and I quite liked the purple flowers with their fine petals. what is that purple flower? The Mirabilis looked so good, I almost imagined that I could smell its fragrance.The Celosia looked proud standing there. The first time I saw one of those was in the Generalife Gardens of the Alhambra in Granada. I have always found them so interesting to see and touch. BTW the Celosia and Agastache I find an attractive combination.

Smashing Zinnia patch.

I like that last overview shot of your grounds. It gives a little idea of how nice the whole must be.

10. Netty

Hi Sjoerd! Yes, I do believe they are just called 'Sicilian Saucer' tomatoes. I stumbled on this heirloom tomato quite by accident a few years back and was so impressed that I shared some seed with my favorite local greenhouse. He now grows them each year and we have a friendly little contest between us to see who can grow the largest one. They are a large, meaty tomato and are good for slicing, salads or processing.
    The purple 'fuzzy' looking flower is Ageratum. A lovely little annual, short and good for use along the border. The Celosia looks nice with the Blue Salvia too.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

G'day mate.
    Thanks for the comments and plant names.
    It sounds so nice to have the friendly competition with the greenhouse dude.
    I am going to try and get hold of some seeds next season of that Saucer tom.
    thanks a mil.

12. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Woooow, Netty, you have such a beautiful garden! And such a brilliant name, too, makes me smile:)
    Only just saw your post, looks like enough veggies to keep you pickling for a while! Beautiful tomatoes, bet they taste even better than they look.
    Thanks for sharing :stew1:

13. Netty

Thanks Gardenelf, I HAVE been busy picking! Lots of zucchini, cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, beans and cucamelons so far. The carrots, cabbage and onions should be ready soon.
    Sjoerd I picked the first of the 'Sicilian Saucer' tomatoes yesterday, they were each over a pound. This was the heaviest at 1lb 5oz
    IMG_9516 (600x800).jpg

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Holy Moley!!!
    Now, that what I'm talkin' about!

Yeah, that's me all curled up in a ball jealous as sin.:smt003

I picked so many toms yesterday that for the moment, I don't want to think about toms. They all have to be cleaned, cut and processed into jars of concentrate. Perhaps tomorrow. BLT's are always an option....but 2 trugs full?!

15. Netty

I know exactly how you feel Sjoerd ... I spent a good part of the day cleaning veggies, cutting and processing yesterdays pickings. I don't even think I want to go out to the garden today!

16. Netty

Picked a few more toms today Sjoerd. They were all over 1lb, with this one being the largest
    Big tom.JPG

Frank likes this.