New Lily

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by toni, May 29, 2007.

1. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Oddness in a flower

Some oddness is beautiful in flowers..
    barb

2. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was just looking through one of my gardening books and to me it could be the ELODIE LILY. I got the name out of a book from Dutch Gardens. They said it was for zone 3-9, with a height of 18-20 inches. I have gotten the wrong type when I order some bulbs,with so many types they do make mistakes in packing.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the info Sherry, that one is beautiful.

Unless the color is different on my monitor, the Elodie Lily is a lot more pink than my unexpected one is.
    All of those bulbs produced lilies the same peachy color with the deformed look. If I can find more of the Grape Magic in the future I will try again.

4. diene

diene New Seed

Hello Toni;
    I am fairly new to this site but not to daylilies. I have over fifty different kinds and your "deformed" one I believe is just a double bloom which is one of the most popular type of hybridizing they have been doing with these plants. Maybe the vendor you purchased it from sent you the wrong flower or maybe a bee decided to make a change in your plant.
    I think it is beautiful!! How tall is it? How wide were the blooms? Thanks. diene

Advertisement
  5. toni

Hi Diene, I never thought to measure the blooms last year but they were the same size as the Stella's that bloomed next to them and the stems were roughly 3 feet tall.
    The color they turned out to be is pretty, I just had my mind/heart set on seeing the Grape Magic ones that the package was ID'd as. :rolleyes:

6. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

And yet that's one beautiful lily :stew1:

7. Penny

Penny Young Pine

What a beautiful picture!!

8. diene

diene New Seed

Possible replacements

Hello Toni;
    I checked pictures I had taken of some of my lilies and I looked up the Grape one you wanted. I have several of the "Night's Beacon"
    [​IMG]

And I also have this unnamed one;
    [​IMG]
    Do either of these work for you? This could not happen for quite a while as I am not very good at labeling my plants so I might have to wait for them to bloom this year.
    Just trying to help. diene

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Toni, I just need to ask: It is a lily, not a day lily, yes?

It looks like one from the double lily mix I planted two years ago. I wanted to see if this was something I would like. They're in yellow, pink and orange red. Of course no names! And they are tall, too. Nearing five feet some of them.

Here's a link to one site with photos:
    http://www.vandycks.com/store/lilies/doublelilies/73853

And this one looks a little like yours:
    http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/lilies/ ... lies/60753

Thompson & Morgan have a couple too:
    http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/list/ ... ollen-free

10. toni

Diene, how sweet of you. I can't find the label from the Grape Magic package but if I am remembering correctly the lily I was expecting looked a lot like your Night Beacon. It would be fun to work out a trade this fall. :stew2:

Droopy, thanks for the links. The package was labeled as Daylilies.
    Mine is more peach colored than the Elodie and doesn't have the black dots near the center. The best I can tell, the Lily Aphrodite from Thompson-Morgan looks closest to mine but the pedals on mine had ruffled edges. I tried emailing the grower, even gave them the link to this topic so they could see the picture but I never heard back from them.

Thanks for the help trying to ID this one. I hadn't even thought about them being doubles. I was just wondering about those seed looking things stuck to the edges of some of the pedals. It will be interesting to see if they are still there this year.

11. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Although it may not be the Grape Magic variety
    that Toni was hoping for, I feel quite sure that
    the flower in the first picture in this thread
    is a daylily . . . the remarkable resemblance to those gorgeous
    lily flowers that Droopy shared makes it clear
    why this group of plants is often confused with lilies,
    :-? even though they are not actually lilies.

Daylilies are Hemerocallis - in the family Hemerocallidaceae.
    "True lilies" are Lilium - in the family Liliaceae.
    For me, one way to tell is by observing the plant structure,
    Hemerocallis (Daylilies) have more of a "tuft" of foliage,
    all of the leaves growing out of one central point on the ground,
    while Lilies grow a taller stalk, with the foliage growing up the length of the stalk.

There is a good explantation here:
    http://homepages.accnorwalk.com/daylily ... ilies.html

12. diene

diene New Seed

Sorry I used the term lily when showing those pictures, the two I posted are daylilies. The difference between the two types of flowers aside from everything mentioned above (more technical than I can effectively handle) is the flower stem. A true lily has leaves on the stem of the flower, orientals alternate sides, asiatics circle the stem. Daylilies have no foilage on the actually flower stem just grass like foilage at the base of the plant.
    Lilies are bulbs and can produce bulbets which will eventually make new plants. They also can be divided by digging up the bulb and taking pieces, I know people that have done divisions this way very successfully. I do not happen to be in that group. Daylilies have a crown with fat roots (how is that for a technical term). They resemble more closely dahlias in their root structure. Each fan has a crown and usually only one stem. One stem can have multiple blooms but they usually bloom one at a time for just about a day. That is where the name comes from I believe.
    With cross breeding and hardiness, there are now more than 1000 different types of daylilies here in the US and more being produced each year. The "buzz" words I hear now are double blooming (early summer and then again in the fall), ever blooming (Stella's are known for that), doubles, ones with "eyes", etc. I have at least forty and probably closer to sixty varieties, most of them had names when they arrived on my doorstep but I am not good with keeping plants with their tags so I cannot tell you all the different ones I have. Ask for a color, size etc and I may be able to find what you want.
    Daylilies ship easily and are very hardy so fall sounds like a good idea. diene

13. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

:-D Oh Diene, your collection sounds fantastic!
    I hope that you will post lots and lots of pictures all season long. :stew1: :stew2: :stew1:

Your description of the difference between Lilies and Daylilies is great -
    so many non-lilies have got "lily" stuck into their common names,
    :-? it can become so awfully muddled.