New neighbors

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Oct 3, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Some of you may remember me posting that a neighbor down the road told us our gardens looked like "jungles", and the best she could say about our place was "at least you mow." Once she stopped by to visit and told us that she had gone to see friends in another town who weren't home. She said she decided to come see us (guess being far down on the list is better than not being on the list at all). Well, she moved! No more gratuitous insults!
    I'm baking French bread this morning, and we are taking a warm loaf down to meet the new neighbors who bought her house. I have mixed emotions--I'm hoping they are nice people and not related in any way to the previous owner. I don't think I could keep my mouth shut while being insulted again!

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh how great! Keeping my fingers crossed for some great new neighbors for you MG and that they love to garden :)

marlingardener likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm glad the previous neighbour has moved out Jane. Your French bread will surely help cement a growing friendship with the new folks. Do let us know what you think of them and I hope that, from now on, you'll have no more insults flung your way. I still think you have a garden to be proud of and I would be more than happy to sit out in it and put the world to rights with you over a cuppa.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Did you do a little jig while singing 'The wicked witch is gone'? :whistling: I'm hoping you have a great neighbor, and future friend, with your new neighbor.

Advertisement
  6. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hope that your NEW neighbors are the greatest now that Judgy McJudgerson has moved on. :)
    And hey, my gardening goal is "jungle"! :like: So, your place sounds like a slice of Heaven to me!

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, Jane.... how was it? a good visit? You are a great neighbor. I wish we lived closer.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Waiting to hear about the new neighbors !!

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We stopped by Saturday morning with a welcome card and a loaf of still warm French bread. We met the wife (husband was in town getting something vital). Very nice lady who is completely overwhelmed with all the furniture placement, getting settled, etc. I think they are going to be a great asset to our road.
    They have lived in the country before so know about coyotes, wandering cattle, and all the other things that make living here so interesting. They had a 9 acre place in a neighboring county, then built a house in a town. When the town built municipal buildings right in back of their home, they decided to move where it was quieter and there was a lot less traffic! (That sounded so familiar . . . .)
    I was really surprised to find that we were only the second neighbor to stop by and welcome them. I think everyone else is waiting to let them settle in a bit.

carolyn likes this.
  10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad the new neighbour seems to be the type of person who will fit in well Jane. I hope you go on to become firm friends.:)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hope they turn out to be compatible. We have a saying here---" A good neighbour is better than a distant friend".

Fingers crossed for you.

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In our neighborhood it's more like "A good fence makes good neighbors"

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, there are at least three fences between us and our new neighbors, not to mention a half-mile stretch of pastures. One of the advantages (of which there are many) of living here in the country is that no one is right on top of you. We have "neighbors" but not in the sense of town neighbors.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

One of the reasons we moved to the country was to get away from having neighbors. Once we moved here, we met our 2 closest 'neighbors' that said they liked to "keep to themselves" and so we don't bug them and they don't bug us. We all know that in an emergency we can count on each other. We lived here for 10 years before we met the 3rd neighbor, and just met the fourth last spring!

15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Neighbors around here never do nice things like that....so many people just want to be left alone and are too busy texting to talk. After we lived here for a while a nice neighborly couple brought over some cookies. Sorry to say the husband passed away. The only friendly people in the stores are the older people around here.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You are so sweet to welcome them with freshly baked bread! And I'm relieved on your behalf that they seem nice.