New Shelves in our bedroom

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by toni, Sep 20, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Back on August 1st our youngest daughter moved out of the house, into the spare bedroom of a friends condo. We were beginning to think she never would move out. Not that we don't love her to pieces but she is 28, and with rent costs so high she really couldn't afford it alone.

Anyway, like most parents when a child leaves home we started foisting furniture, dishes, linens, etc on her. Ever wonder why so many of us started life on our own with all those hand-me-downs? It's because our Mom was tired of her old stuff and by handing them down to us she could buy new and not feel guilty. :scheming:

Anyway, other than towels, I gave her my dresser :whistling: I had been wanting to replace it and Randy's chest of drawers for a few years so this was my chance. Last weekend we built (okay technically Randy built, I just held the boards while he cut them down to size and then while he nailed them together) a shelving unit for baskets holding our clothes. Our room is small, good size for the time period the house was built but small by today's standard so the shelves being not as deep as the furniture pieces makes the room feel larger. Shelves.JPG
    Made from cedar and left unpainted. Our oldest daughter saw them last night and started asking (she doesn't bother with subtle hints) if he could make her a smaller version for the living room. So he and the grandsons have a project for next month to plan.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Frank, Sjoerd, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Polly
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Randy did a great job cutting and nailing, and you did a great job holding things in place, Toni! Those are handsome shelves, and I love the idea of having baskets for holding clothing.
    The artwork on the wall above the shelves, and the vintage-look fan just fit in, also. Are you considering a second career as a home design consultant?

toni and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. toni

Thanks Jane.
    For many years we had a 1936 Emerson Silver Swan fan in there, it was one my Mom's family bought in 1936. We had to have it worked on a few years ago since my Dad in his confused state of mind took it apart and couldn't get it back together again and it worked perfectly for us until about a year ago. We were very lucky to find that vintage looking one at Lowe's and love it in there.
    The wall art are plaques we have found on our anniversary wanderings and make that wall an homage to us. The cabinet holds photos and keepsakes (wedding rings from my parents, etc) from our parents and grandparents.

No interior design career for me, we figure most designers would run from our house in a cold sweat on the way we have decorated it. o_O

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni I think we'll take a leaf from your book and see if we can find boxes to fit on our shelved unit. I would never have thought of boxes until I saw your lovely hand-made shelving. Randy did a grand job and I wouldn't run away from the way you've decorated your room that's for sure.

Advertisement
  6. toni

Thanks Eileen, good luck with the boxes. I had thought about having Randy make cedar boxes instead of getting baskets but I was afraid I would have a mutiny on my hands if I suggested it.
    The really fun part is trying to remember which basket holds which clothing. The only two we know for sure are the upper left and upper right, his and my unmentionables. ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Those are very pretty and I also like your keepsakes that are decorating it. I'm sure that, as long as you don't shift the baskets around, you'll remember which basket holds what, just like what a dresser drawer held. If not you could get some Barbie and Ken doll clothes and apply them to the front of the baskets.

Philip Nulty, toni and marlingardener like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

That was a great job. What a simple look with wonderful storage.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Looks good Toni. On remembering which basket holds what.. pin paper labels to the fabric until the items are always put back in the same spot. I labeled my "new" kitchen (with a label maker in clear labels) after we got the remodeling done so everyone knows what goes whee... including me.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That looks great Toni!

toni likes this.