new use for old pantyhose

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by jubabe296, Jun 27, 2006.

1. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I heard a good use for your old pantyhose today!! Put them around large seed pods when you want them to dry on the plant. Just take the end of the pantyhose and wrap it around the seed pod and use a twistie to tie the pantyhose around the pod. This way your seeds won't pop out on the ground and they will all be neat in your pantyhose and you can collect them when they are dry!!!

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Great tip, Jubabe.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I do something similar with pantyhose Julie. I put one type of seed pod in the toe, tie a knot and then put another type of pod in and so on. I stick labels in with the seeds so that I know exactly what they are. I then put bulbs in the 'body' part and hang them up in the shed to overwinter. :-D

5. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Mt friend down in Georgia showed me this one. Take old hose ( the individual kind) and store your onions and potatos in them. Onions and potatos both start to rot from touching each other, the air can't circulate around them. Drop an onion or potato in the stocking and tie a knot then repeat until the stocking is full. Hang in a cool dry place. Keep a pair of scissors nearby and when you need an onion or potato cut the stocking just below the first knot at the bottom of the stocking. The air circulates around them completly and no rotting. He does this with 50 lb bags of vidalia onions and dosn't lose a one!

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Eileen and Capt those are both great tips also!! I'm sure I will be putting them both to good use!

Another tip for using old pantyhose doesn't include the garden. John works with insulation all day and some days he has to use the old fiberglass insulation, and he gets really itchy. He takes one of my old pantyhoses and sprinkles baby powder on it and rubs it on his itchy skin and the pantyhose catches the fiberglass pieces and pulls them out while the powder helps the hose slide on his skin!!! Then he is pretty much itch free!!

7. Hank

Hank Seedling

Whew, I thought you were gonna say he wears them on his arms at work!

8. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

They can also be used to tie plants or vine to a pole so they don't lie on the ground and get stepped on or rot.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Thanks for all the ideas.

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I use them for store bulbs for the winter too.

I also use them in my art for texturing large areas.