New Winter Technique

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by halfway, Jan 11, 2011.

1. halfway

halfway Seedling

This is an expansion of my current indoor growing system and it is very low cost, low maintenance, and easy to build.

It will take over as the primary grower of continuous lettuce.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

halfway, can you describe it a bit? i'm not getting a clear picture from the photos...looks interesting.

4. Masket

Masket New Seed

Have you tried growing any larger plants than lettuce in that?

5. halfway

halfway Seedling

Masket, I have not tried anything larger than lettuce, but my DIY ebb and flow system has been producing basil with phenomenal results and I will be adding Thyme, Rosemary, Spearmint, and Cilantro to that system very soon.

With proper support and lighting, any sized plants can be grown from these systems. Pot size really does NOT matter, but support does.

Bunkie, I have explained it from conception to parts to build to purpose in my blog. It serves as a sort of video and photo journal of the entire hydroponic endeavor.

But in a short description, the solution is continuously oxygenated through a simple $10 aquarium air pump and air stone. The plants sit in a medium (silica stones) for support. The bubbling solution feeds the roots both oxygen and nutrients.

What I love about hydroponics is the efficiency, faster growth, ease of use, and maintenance free simplicity. No soil means no soil born diseases, no pests etc. Very efficient.

I do grow in soil in raised beds and containers as well, but hydro has been a fascinating and very productive technique. I'm learning everyday and by no means an expert though!!

eileen likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

I liked reading your blog halfway, and asked on comment where you find your growing mediums. I might try it if I could find them for a bulk rate price. is that an airstone in tank of water? What ferts and other (if any0 hormones, etc, do you use in h2o?
    Edit: And the nutrients. perhaps you could post some links. :)

7. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks hw! i will check out your blog.

i thought it was a hydroponics system. nice setup. i haven't ventured into it yet, but find it quite interesting.

can one make their own nutrients, fertilizer instead of having to purchase it elsewhere?

8. halfway

halfway Seedling

On nutrients...I am still learning and reading through different do it yourself techniques as well as using "compost tea".

The local hydro shop recommended a very basic nutrient because I was absolutely baffled at the selection. I ended up with a product called CNS17 which covers all the minerals needed and is designed for commercial application.

It seemed expensive on first glance and I was under the impression that nutrients would be my biggest expense. That has been proven false. The lettuce and basil are requiring far less nutrients than I originally estimated and I believe the current system is using about $.85 per month at this rate.

The gallon I purchased, at this rate, will last me a few years. I believe a person could find nutrients for a bit cheaper, but this has worked well for me so far.

Thanks for checking out the blog. It started as way to show and answer friends and relatives questions on the endeavor. It has been fun to do and keeps me engaged in recording my journal with videos and photos.

Edit: Bodhi, try googling CNS17 for a link on the nutrients I use. The type of CNS17 is "grow" as I do not need "ripe" or "bloom" variations. I am not at home and cannot remember the company that produces it.

eileen likes this.
  9. halfway

halfway Seedling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZbzFUwdMA

Here is a video I shot last night of both the ebb and flow and DWC systems in operation and their results and progress so far. Under my YOUTUBE channel "misterhalfwaythere1" I have posted several videos on indoor growing and I may expand this to the springtime "starts" germination and propagation.

This has been exceptionally productive. My next move will be further expansion to increase our produce production.

I also updated the blog with notes on the system design and build. It has been fun!!

eileen likes this.
  10. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Nice Halfway! Beautiful root system on veggies...lol, are you shy? You keep avoiding video camera!

11. halfway

halfway Seedling

:oops:

No, not at all. I am in the spotlight enough and am always a bit hesitant to give out too much info on the net. 8)

I am still chuckling, thanks Bodhi!!