Newbie Intern needing help

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Mirka, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Mirka

Mirka New Seed

Hello Community!

I am an intern for Rincon Family Services which is a not-for-profit in Chicago "dedicated to rendering compassionate and effective programs that promote the quality of life by serving as a catalyst to advocate, educate and empower individuals and their families. Our programs and services include areas of drug rehabilitation, HIV prevention, mental health treatment, and mandated court services".

As their summer intern, I've been assigned a project to beautify our facility before our annual gala in August. I picked an event date for June 26th, but have few volunteers and no plants. Must I add that I also have no knowledge for gardening! Before I started doing loads of research, I thought I could reach out to you guys for some pointers and direction.

So, I have to plant a curb side which is 2ft width and about 20 feet long in front of our facility, need to plant so that they are pretty and beautiful by August. The dirt is somewhat in good shape especially since its been raining but I know it needs more nutrients. CHICAGO GETS COLD and my boss specifically requested plants that do not have to be replanted. (someone in the office mentioned perennials)And we are a non for profit so very very very limited funds.

I need knowledge! I need plants! I need volunteers! Please help me!

Thanks,
    Mirka
    RFS Intern

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mirka, I'd bet there is a Master Gardener group near you. They can provide advice, some plants (I hope), and support. Get hold of them through your county extension agent if you have one, and if not, an article in a local newspaper will get you some response.
    Considering that the bed is so narrow, and backed by a cement wall, ground cover is about your only option. There simply isn't enough room to support larger plants.
    See if Vinca minor would meet your needs. Alternatively, how about several containers with colorful plants, surrounded by ground cover?
    I know you said you had a limited budget, but the containers can be barrels, old buckets, anything from the curbside or scrap heap, painted in bright colors by the people who are receiving your services, and have them sign their artwork.

Mirka likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

University of Illinois Extension serving Cook County

Main Office (Cook County)
    8751 S. Greenwood Avenue, Suites 112-122
    Chicago, IL 60619
    Phone: 773-768-7779
    FAX: 773-768-4818
    Email:uie-cook@illinois.edu
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Is that area always in shade? If so, look for Hosta, Heuchera, Ferns, Vinca, Impatiens, Begonia are all good options for a narrow shady space. Walk through a garden center to see what is in bloom now or will be coming into bloom in August and work with those.
    The idea of painting the pots is a good one and would be really cheery. You can also get some black plastic pots at either Lowe's or Home Depot possibly for free since they have a recycling program for gardeners to bring in the plant pots instead of throwing them away.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Mirka likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

First... welcome.

Second... what direction does the flowerbed face? north south east or west? If you are getting all day sun or all day shade makes a difference on what you will be successful with getting to grow. The picture looks like it is all shade right now, but when was it taken? morning?

I honestly wouldn't recommend perennials. They are a alot of work, too. Someone needs to maintain them every Spring and Summer then get it ready for Fall, too. They will need divided in the Spring and weeded all summer, too until they are all filled to the point of shading any new seeds from germinating. Most perennials don't bloom all Summer long either. If you want color then you will still need to add some annuals .

Ask local stores, nurseries greenhouses and or garden centers for donations. If you have mostly shade impatiens or begonias are perfect for this area. If you have lots of sunshine geraniums or petunias are the most common of flowers and both are pretty tough for an area like that.. If you lived closer I would donate to you what I have left over from the greenhouse that I am tired of watering.

Cayuga Morning, Mirka and seawitch like this.

Advertisement
  6. Mirka

Mirka New Seed

Thank you so much Carolyn, Toni, and Marlingardener! I cannot tell you how much this helped for our project and also for my own knowledge. The area sunny in the morning and then mostly shady in the afternoon. The painting of the buckets or flower pots was a great therapy idea for the adolescent clients and some adult clients that come to our office. If you know of anything else please don't hesitate in letting me know!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you can afford a roll of the wired together white picket fencing....it's only about 18" tall, they have it at Lowe's. Have the clients each paint a picket....any color, any design (within reason ;)) and then install it along the wall behind the planting area. Even when the plants are not blooming it will add a nice flash of color and interest.

kate, 2ofus, Mirka and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Carolyn that perennials take work & only bloom for a short period. Annuals will bloom all summer. Garden clubs might be willing to donate plants as well as some of the local nurseries & big box stores. Another idea is daylilies. I think you have enough room to plant repeated clumps of daylilies down that row, then annuals interspersed. If you put an ad on Craigslist or in your local newsrag, people are often willing to donate divisions of their daylilies. Too bad I am not close to you...I have so many.

Another question: what is happening up on your roof? Is there a drip line into that bed that will kill plants?