October This &That & The Other Thing.

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Daniel W, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

There have been lots of mushrooms, all over the place.

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

I was going to put the Brugmansia into the garage for the winter and let it dry out. It decided to have one last bloom.

IMG_4620.jpeg

One of the raised beds was beginning to fall apart. I dug out the soil on one side, anticipating having to dis-assemble that side and adjust the corner stones.

IMG_4633.jpeg

However, that wasn't enough. I had to take off all four sides, adjust the corner stones, and put it back together. It was a lot of digging and heavy work. I used longer rebar pushed into the centers holes of the corner stones, and as usual, second-hand preserved 2 x 4s cut to length and holes drilled in each end, to make braces. It's sort of like tinker toys.

IMG_4645.jpeg

IMG_4648.jpeg

With those braces, the sides are all rigid and I hope it's good for several years now. I don't think they can shift and fall over again, now. Next, it needs a new plastic liner to preserve the wood. Then it needs about 8 or 10 buckets of soil to raise the level to where I want it. As for today, I will rest. Doing this much in one day wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done LOL.

I liked how these Dusty Miller grew this year, from seeds. I wonder if I can overwinter them in the garage.

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

Rufus likes visiting these steers. They are so placid, too.

IMG_4627.jpeg

I don't know if they are hiding behind those trees LOL.

The peppers made enough to ferment some pepper sauce.

IMG_4641.jpeg

This is mostly red Serrano peppers, with some Thai and Tabascos for extra hotness. The rest is garlic, some brine, a little sugar to jump start the fermentation, and some raw sauerkraut juice to provide good bacteria. It's making a lot of bubbles after two days.

IMG_4642.jpeg

I bought a Surprise Lily bulb mail order. I've never been able to get those to grow. Maybe in a container? Lycoris squamigera. I planted it in a container. This photo is public domain, from Wikipedia.

IMG_5350.jpeg

My grandfather liked calling them "Naked Ladies" because the flower stems don't have leaves, which would scandalize my great aunts. I've grown semi-related Nerine, and Crinum, but I'd like to grow Lycoris out of nostalgia.

Frank, Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoy your postings like this because the content is so varied.

What a pity your raided bed needed such extensive repair. The required work just went on and on. In the end, your work looks professional and with the lining and added soil it will be as good as new.

The flowering border plants look good still. You still have some colour and good textures there.

Your peppers in a jar look volcanic. I’ll bet they look good on the shelf as well.

I hope you can get those Naked Ladies to perform for you. That would be an impressive addition to your gardens. If yiu see what they can look like on that pic…welllll, who wouldn’t like them in their garden. Good luck, mate.

The mushrooms are popping up allover here as well.

I get that you don’t want to put the Brug. away just yet. They really are impressive blooms.

Daniel W likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks Sjoerd!

I think, after all of the work, I finally understand how to build raised beds using that method LOL. Live and learn.

I wonder if the white mushrooms here are the same as the white ones in the grocery store. I'm not going to try eating them, just wondering.

Those peppers should be ready to process into liquid sauce, soon. The solids are also good for flavoring stir fry.

Those Naked Ladies have been a real challenge for me. I wonder if the bulbs should be sold with roots, instead of rootless like daffodils. I'm curious to see how they do.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am curious as well. Please post pics next season if you think of it. Now I think of it, you will be so happy…you’ll just HAVE to share, won’ t you.

Daniel W likes this.
  6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I enjoyed your post Daniel. My father called them Naked Ladies also. We had batches of them growing in the back part of our yard when I was a kid.
    I was always a bit embarrassed by that name.:oops:

Attached Files: