okra for cool weather climates

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Feistywidget, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

I live in northern Michigan and my gardening zone is 4b/5a. Gardening season starts at end of May and ends in October or November, depending on weather.

I've only found a few varieties and one I can't even find.

All the varieties listed are quick to mature in comparision to traditional varieties. Earliest ranges from about 49 days, latest is about 55-60 days.

North and south
    Annie Oakley II
    Emerald
    Pentagreen
    Cajun delight

North and south was carried by burpee, but with their site it's discontinued, and out of stock.

When I tried to look online for it, there are no sites that carry it except Reimer seeds.

I'd prefer not to order from them, because people have had very bad experiences with not getting their seeds, or it taking ages to receive them.

It's not available in any seed catalogs.

The cajun delight, I don't even know if it's been bred for short season climates with cold weather, it doesn't specify.

I can't even find pentagreen, not online or in seed catalogs.

I have one variety for cool weather, the Annie Oakley II. However where I live, okra is very difficult to grow.

As such, I'd like to try different varieties to see which one will do best.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Pine Tree Seeds http://www.superseeds.com offers a Red Burgundy that lists as 55 days. They also have Star of David, listed as 65 days.
    Gourmet Seed International http://www.gourmetseed.com has Penta Dragon, a dwarf variety, at 60 days, and Dwarf Long Greed Pod at 50 days, which is recommended for northern regions.
    Jung's Seeds http://www.jungseed.com has Cajun Delight, 50-55 days, and Jambalaya Hybrid at 48-50 days.
    Like you, I can't find a source for the others you mention, but I'll keep looking.
    (I'm not a big fan of okra, but always plant some 'cause it's a Southern tradition and I don't mess with tradition)

4. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

I'm going to assume all the varieties you listed are for designed to be cold tolerant?

Thank you for the links!

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okra isn't "cold tolerant" because it is a crop that needs warmth. However, the shorter growing period is designed for cooler/shorter growing season areas, like yours. If you have luck growing okra, it will be one of these shorter-season varieties.
    I plant Cowhorn, which takes about 80 days, and will produce until the cows come home :D !

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Even the varieties with a short growing season need to have as much warmth as you can give them. To raise the temperature for them, use black plastic mulch and row covers until your day time temperatures have settled into a consistently warm pattern. They also need full sun.

The first freeze will take them out and cool weather will stunt their growth and halt pod production.