OOPS! Spray mistake

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, we really messed up this time. Kevin pointed at the white jug that looks just like all the others and I picked "it" up and measured it out and put it in the sprayer. sprayed my new crop of zucchinis, (picked once) a new row of just emerged cucumbers, my greenhouse of newly ripening tomatoes and the row of cucumbers that are producing heavily... .. with an herbicide. It was supposed to be calcium.oops! all dead now or not able to harvest. *sigh* I guess my markets will be cut a bit shorter this year. the squash didn't do didly squat with the drought so, umm I won't have that to sell either. *sigh*.

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

OMG - tragic. Oh dear am so really sorry for this

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh no!! So sorry Carloyn. That's exactly why I check and then double check what I am spraying. I once used chlorinated water to water my potted plants by mistake and killed them all. Now I am extra carefull!

Islandlife likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think most of us have done something similar over the years.
    It doesn't make us feel any better though when it happens does it? I really feel for you Carolyn as you've lost so much. :smt090

Cayuga Morning and Islandlife like this.

Advertisement
  6. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

If anyone else does this and you realise soon enough, then spray the affected plants with copious amounts of clean water and I mean LOTS of water. This will,should, dilute the herbicide enough for it not to kill the plants unless they are particularly prone to herbicide damage. I have done this and got away with it.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, it was actually an oil based preemergent for the corn fields. With a 90 day post harvest from reusing the soil. I cut all the fruit and leaves off the tomatoes and tossed them. the cucumbers I pulled down and planted new seeds. I figured it would be less work not picking the fruit every day and tossing it. The leaves on the cukes were burned and wilting and the new cukes...dead!

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I feel so bad for you but have to admit to doing the same thing. :( People do make mistakes and learn from them. I haven't done it again and I'm sure you won't either.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh No ! Bummer,,If it makes you feel better my squash did not do well without a drought.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

One of my coworkers done something similar. He grabbed the bottle out of the dark garage, mixed it, sprayed it and the overspray killed his wife's koi!! :eek:

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Most sprays will warn against getting them in the water and killing the aquatic life. so sad, huh?

12. kate

kate In Flower

I did an accidental Weedkiller spray on a plant some seven years ago it died as you would expect.
    Not done it since.
    Sorry about your plants Carolyn! :smt089
    K

carolyn likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Kate. I think the tomatoes that got sprayed are also going to die. all the tips are toasty and brown now. sigh. ahh well. I had friends whose day that happened was a muuuuuch worse day than mine, only I didn't know it until another day had passed. they had an accident with 7 people in the car. One 12 yo died and her funeral is this week. 2 more are still in the critical care/intensive care unit miles upon miles away from home. it is sooo sad. A few wasted rows in the garden? I think they would be happy to trade places.I can't even begin to imagine the hospital bills already piling up. I think the gofundme pages will be a drop in the bucket for their needs. as it was two families in the same vehicle. tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini? pfft.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So sorry carolyn. That's why we write with bold black felt tip pen what is it....being OLD,.....we don't have to struggle to look at the little letters on the jug..

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb,.... I didn't even look at the label... DUH! I just picked up the jug that I thought he pointed at and it was the same size, color and color of contents inside the jug. I have since then taken a big sharpie to every container there.

Cayuga Morning and waretrop like this.
  16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

carolyn, And now you can join my crowd,....of being old....LOL Well, not that old...LOL

carolyn likes this.