Orioles have arrived

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Kay, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

My husband Bob and I are big Bird Nerds. We love feeding and watching all kinds. It is peak migration season in our area, so it’s always a treat to view various Birds that pass through. The ones we are most fascinated with are the Baltimore Orioles that return every year to nest here and have babies. They are beautiful and we love hosting them. Their nests are so cool, and it’s fun to spot one because they are built hidden in branches of trees.
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    I spotted the first male today! It usually takes a few days for the females to follow. All season, I attempt to snap the best photos, but I admit it’s not my greatest talent to capture photos of birds. This isn’t the greatest shot but it’s all I have for today. Welcome back to Nebraska!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2024
    Frank, Netty, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Kay, we are also mad about the birds. We like watching them and have worked in the fields protecting the nests and eggs that we find. It all got documented and digitalised. What a fulfilling work that was.

I am looking forward to an Oriole summer…as well as any other birds you care to show.

Kay and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Kay nice set up a feast for lucky birds. I see your in Nebraska nice weather ? I like the cute stump with a roof on the far right of your garden. Great idea.

Waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more before we see more birds in this area. I hear the black birds squalling at each other , it should be next month when more show up . A lot of bluejays, stellar’s and robins so far.
    The swifts are back nesting in the bird houses we set up. They return every year. I have suet racks set up outside so hoping more birds will join our garden soon.

Kay and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Kay

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Pac, The weather here has been crazy. Mother Nature didn’t want to let go of winter and proceed to Spring! It’s been chilly and the wind will make you nutty ! We get one or two days of nice calm then the winds return and it gets cold. I’ll be happy when it calms down! I usually wait to do any planting until May anyway, but I’m so anxious.
    Thanks for liking our Gnome home, it’s currently under construction, Bob is adding a little deck and a flight of stairs. I’m planning on re doing the plantings, as the sun will shine brighter since the tree was cut down and my Hostas are not going to like that. New garden opportunity!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Your weather experience sounds familiar. It’s like a roller coaster ..up / down and around we go. On one day it’s 70F the next 40’s rain windy , well you know the drill. But it never stops the hummers..

The gnome home so creative then the additions to be included will be another work of garden art and a special gnome home.

Sjoerd likes this.