Other uses for spearmint?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by kathyd, Sep 2, 2011.

1. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Hi, I have a bounty of spearmint this year. I love it. I do drink tea made from it...wondering if anyone else has any other uses for it. I would love to hear some...thanks!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. dragon49
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Spearmint, or peppermint for that matter, can be added to plain yogurt for a dressing for sliced fresh cucumbers. I also like to add about 2 tblsps. chopped mint (again spear or pepper, it doesn't matter) to 14/c. honey and 2 tbsps. lemon juice for a dressing for a melon salad. I chop honeydew, cantaloupe, and any other melon that's available, mix with the honey/mint dressing, and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. This is great alone for lunch, or as a salad with chicken or pork for dinner.
    Try putting six or eight mint leaves in the bottom of a tall glass, dropping (with a bit of force) ice cubes in the glass to bruise the mint leaves, and then adding cold tea. Garnish with a slice of lemon and a sprig of mint, and enjoy!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Mint is good in salads as a green, cut up small.
    It is great with greens, such as spinach, classic with carrots.
    I had a wonderful mint chutney at a local indian restaurant. Found a recipe with 2 cups mint leaves, 2 green onions, chopped, 2 T. grated fresh ginger, , 3 T. lime juice, 1 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, jalapeno peppers chopped, amount depends on your taste buds, and 3-4 T. water. Stick in a blender and blend. Best fresh, said the recipe.
    Add to meat marinades.

Herb infused simple syrups. 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup water. Heat to boiling. Add a bunch of any herb, pull off the heat, and let sit for 30 min, then strain. Great with sparkling water as an ade, sweetener for teas, sweeten fruit salads or desserts.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I use quite a lot of Mint,..i cut up a few leaves and add it to any greens i am cooking,..in particular i use lots in Cabbage,..as the latter i can not eat enough of, :stew1: .

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It's great just to walk on and also repels fleas in the yard and if you have cats or dogs helps to keep them flea free.

7. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

There is lots of salicylate, or aspirin like compounds, in mints also.

8. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Thanks everyone...good ideas all. I did not know that Spearmint had anti-inflammatory properties. I have been adding it to hot water with fresh ginger...that's a double dose of an anti-inflammatory brew...good to know.

9. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

I love spearmint. One of my favorite tea herbs. I add one tablespoon of dried spearmint and 2 tablespoons of loose, Chinese black tea to the tea pot. Pour 8 ounces of boiling water over the herb and tea, and let it steep for 3 minutes. Strain, and add a bit of sugar or honey. Wonderful bedtime tea.

I add fresh spearmint leaves to a quart jar of water. I keep this mint water in the refrigerator. I splash a little of the mint water on a bandana and apply it to my face and neck. Your own little spa treatment. So cool on the skin, after an hour or two in the hot sun.

As I put away summer clothes and bring out the winter clothes, I switch the scented sachets bags. I use the lavender sachets with winter clothes, and pack my summer things away with spearmint sachets. You can buy the little organza bags at craft stores or dollar stores. Fill the little bags with the dried spearmint or lavender. Tuck them in with the clothes as you pack them away. When you open the containers next spring, you'll love the fresh, clean scent of the spearmint on your clothes.

I also toss a few of the sachets in seasonal tote bags, gym bags, the car, my shoe boxes. They are easy to make. You just need dried herbs and the organza/ tulle' bags.

Spearmint is great for repelling mice. I fill used dryer sheets with dried speamint and tie them up with twine. I hang them in the outdoor shed to repel the mice coming in.

Just some ideas I wanted to share with members of the forum.

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great ideas Meadow Walker!

11. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Just made a load of Apple Mint Jelly using Spearmint. Two types, one with lots of chopped mint in it and another with just the water in which the leaves were steeped to make a clear jelly.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi everybody, I love these mint ideas, in particular some of the recipes sound delicious. I do like it in yogurt over cucumbers, but had forgotten that recipe. I think I will try the mint & honey & lemon juice combo over melon. I like the sound of the mint chutney too, worth trying.

My husband makes a great mint pesto: mint, nuts, salt , good olive oil & garlic in a food processor. It is delicious spread on crustini, french bread, over fish, really anything. As a matter of fact, I think I will make some right now! I am going to my monthly book club later today and it will be a great hors d'oeuvres to bring with crackers. As (another) matter of fact, I think I will bring the yogurt-cucumber-mint dish as well as I have those ingredients to hand.

I also did not know that mint could discourage mice and keep clothing fresh, and act as an anti-inflamatory. :)