Our flock has grown

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, May 3, 2010.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Yes, of course, we wouldn't be satisfied with just 5 birds. At the weekend Mark found a local small holder who had a clutch of 6 week old quails for sale, so he whisked us off and we came home with another 6 ladies, well, 5 ladies and one chap going by his rather amorous behaviour with the other birds! :eek:

They are all quite a lot younger than our original 5 fawn quail, so one is currently living in a run in the conservatory for a week or 2 until she is a bit bigger. We have 3 brown, the colour is actually called Range, our original 5 fawn, 2 Pied White and one who could be fawn or brown, she is still growing her adult feathers.

There is a lot of action now with the flock as you can imagine, and a lot of hanky panky, which is great because we now have a nice mixed gene pool so the plan is for Mark to build an incubator and for us to have a go at hatching some of our own. :) It is a good job I have nothing to do with my days isn't it!! :rolleyes:

According to Defra guildlines, we have the room for a flock of about 40, but that would be so cruel, like a battery set up. Another few would be fun if we can hatch them ourselves, especially because if we end up with several boys....they will eventually end up in the freezer. :eek:

Anyhow, a couple of new pics of our chicks.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh me, oh my--those girls are looking good. Things are getting quite cozy there isn't it?
    It's going to turn into a soap opera if you aren't careful. :)

Good luck with that incubator. Yiu keep this up and you'll be selling chicks of your own soon. A few extra quid is never out of place, is it?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I had a feeling you'd be buying more quail somehow. :rolleyes: I don't think I'd have been satisfied with just five either as they really are lovely little birds. Good luck with the incubator and I hope you manage to get more little ladies with it soon. By the way the pied quails are ones I've never seen before and I think they are very handsome.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations! Oh, my, they're so cute. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. springblossom

springblossom New Seed

Awesome! Congrats!

7. springblossom

springblossom New Seed

Awesome! Congrats!

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

What are you like Emma, as if you haven't got enough in your life to keep you busy :D The quails are so cute and I wish you and Mark every success with your breeding plans.