Overwintering Chili Pepper Plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Daniel W, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel. Yes I agree the weather is wacky we had temps 85’ yeasterday it broke the record for the hottest temp in April. Speaking of hot you are gonna have so nice hot peppers to harvest. Makes my mouth water ..I’m thinkin chese stuffed rellenos.

Logan, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am paying attention to this pepper thread. I am so glad you are doing this one.

Logan, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Pacnorwest this year I'm growing Poblano and Anaheim pepper plants, for the first time ever, to see how they grow and produce. So maybe there will be Chili Rellenos! There's still a lot of garden work to do, to get the new beds ready, and I'm not ready to do it. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

I may have to compromise on the rotations, so I can plant in last year's beds before the newest ones are ready.

Varieties:

Two types of hybrid Jalapeno.
    Hybrid Cayenne.
    Two types of Serrano.
    Thai
    Tabasco.
    Banana.
    Mini Bell peppers
    King of the North red bell pepper.
    Yellow Monster bell pepper.

Some for fresh use. Many for sauces to use all year long.

I might overwinter more next year, depending on what happens. I'll need to feed special treats to the garden gnomes for good luck.

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel if you’re growing chilli peppers then they will be great, just like everything else you grow in your garden.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Looking good Daniel

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

The Overwintered pepper plants are officially over the winter now, and into the Spring. They are all planted, along with new seedlings to serve as comparisons.

Jalapeño.
    IMG_2402.jpeg

Serrano.
    IMG_2403.jpeg

Tabasco.
    IMG_2398.jpeg

Thai.
    IMG_2400.jpeg

Cayenne.
    IMG_2404.jpeg

There were several times that I thought the Cayenne was dead, and maybe the Thai as well. Most have much more extensive root systems, compared to the seedlings. The Cayenne seem to have fewer roots than it did last fall, so I'm still not sure about that one.

Logan, Clay_22 and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You got them in!! Well done, you. They really did come through the winter well. Yes mate, you did good.

Logan, Clay_22 and Daniel W like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Well done Daniel

Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thank you Stewbies! Next, to see how well and how early they produce, compared to new seedlings.

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

OK, here's the final update on overwintered chili pepper plants. Some did great, and some did not do as well as newly started ones.

First the great ones. This Thai pepper rebounded and produced a lot of chili peppers. A lot more than the new seedling I started this year.

IMG_4562.jpeg

The overwintered Tabasco pepper plants were also much more productive, compared to new ones.

IMG_4563.jpeg

The overwintered Jalapeño pepper produced the first (small) pepper in my garden. But the plant remained small, all summer long, and new plants were much more productive.

IMG_4568.jpeg

The Serrano pepper (no picture ) barely grew. The new Serrano pepper plants were very prolific.

The Cayenne pepper produced well, but about the same as new ones.

So, it was a fun experiment. It took a lot of effort to overwinter chili pepper plants. Some did well, some did OK but in some cases, new plants grew and produced better.

I won't try overwintering them this winter. Even though I enjoyed it, I think I can do as well or better, using freshly started plants in the Spring.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This was a great posting from start to finish. I wonder when we will plant more peppers. We checked yesterday and still have enough for 3-5 years the Bride estimates. We had such a massively successful season a coupla years ago and they are so hot that we only need a few flakes for food. Value for money, I’d say.
    Anyhow, I hope I can remember this posting when I do try and hold my plants over. Thanks for this posting.

Logan and Daniel W like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Sjoerd, I did learn something useful. This year I tried some new (to me) hybrid varieties of Serrano and Jalapeño peppers. They were so much more productive, and the chilis were very big and flavorful. I'm usually kind of biased in the direction of, heirloom is better. But next year for chilis, I'll grow those hybrids again.

I think chili peppers, they are too tropical for my climate, so the hybrids give them an extra boost.

The Thai peppers were so pretty, on very small plants. I might grow them next year as ornamentals.

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Daniel that was a good experiment, I've tried it with Carolina reaper and some of the other very hot chillies, for me it was best to start fresh every year.

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are all set then. Let the new season come. SssssssssssssT !

Daniel W and Logan like this.