Pear and apple sprouts on root stock

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Apr 14, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We keep getting sprouts on our pear and apple trees, coming from below the graft and on the root stock. I keep them trimmed off, but was wondering if there is a way to prevent the sprouts?
    I don't mind doing the trimming, but I figure any energy that goes into useless root stock growth is possibly robbing the desirable part of the trees.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

From what I have read, if the new growth isn't kept trimmed off the plant could revert to the original rootstock, killing off the grafted plant. They can appear if the rootstock is rejecting the graft too.

Severe pruning, drought, overwatering ... anything that stresses the rootstock can cause it to send up growth trying to protect itself.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, that is interesting. The trees are three to four years old, and went through the drought we experienced a couple of years ago. I'll keep trimming (gives me something to do in my spare time:smt105!

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Someone else on the Stew had this problem & another Stewbie said pulling them off works better. If need by, with pliers.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have the same problem with my peaches. Pulling them off instead of cutting... hmmmm. Guess it's worth a try.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It was on the thread about suckers on a Bradford Pear tree.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

My pears do not do this but almost everything else does. Depends on what the rootstock is. I read that it can be anything from a crab apple to an heirloom rootstock. I left one sprout on my peach tree and now have two different peaches on one rootstock. Will see what type it is this year. Some of my apples make sprouts like weeds and some are only one or two per year. This year has been so wet that I also have water sprouts. Those are the ones that grow from the branches and then curve down toward the ground. Anyone finds a fix for it please let me know.