Photos of my repotted indoor succulents!

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Venus414, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Wanted to share some photos of my little repotted indoor succulents. They went from very dense generic potting soil and pots without drainage to gritty mix and pots with drainage. My fingers are crossed for these little babies - I really don't want to lose them as they're from my wedding (and so cute). This is my first time repotting, so I'm a little worried about them - I feel like it might shock them to leave their tiny individual pots - but I read a lot online before making my attempt and am hopeful.

Underneath the taller succulent's leaves, you can see two other little succulents playing peekaboo. Those are the little guys who had root rot (I think) and who I "beheaded" and replanted after letting them dry out.

Finally, I put the leaves that I'd let dry for a few days atop the gritty mix in the hopes that they'll propogate.

Open to any suggestions anyone has. Please feel free to give advice! Otherwise, hope to post more photos soon!

Attached Files:

purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. chris1948
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Edlou8181
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

They're all looking good to me :) :)

Venus414 likes this.
  4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Agree. Sending good vibes & wishes for best luck! Are these plants near a good window? During the short days & weak rays of winter, it's hard to give succulents enough light while inside.

Venus414 likes this.
  5. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0654.JPG Thanks for your good wishes to my succulents, Island and Purple!

The succulents are on the ledge of a south facing window that gets unobstructed light (no buildings or anything blocking the sun, not sure if our windows have a sun filter). It's certainly a bright perch but I have some LED grow lights and on rainy or dark days, I plop them under there for about seven hours, about a foot and a half from the light as I don't want them to burn. Here they are on the sill at about 4:30 PM today.

I came home to see my parents today and my mom gave me a cutting of her "money plant." I think this is the same as a golden pothos but not sure. She told me the tale goes that you have to steal the money plant cutting, like stealing your fortune! We decided this isn't really necessary since I'm her kid. Ha! Either way, it's lovely and sounds like more propogating for this fledgling gardener!

EXCITING!!!

purpleinopp likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Do those little pots have drainage ? I would suggest bigger pots for all those that will root ! When you have them in little pots and crammed together its difficult to get them out to transplant after rooting. They look good though. Just be sure and let them dry out and only minimal water.

Venus414 likes this.
  7. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Thank you for the advice - much appreciated as I'm really new to this. The succulent cuttings that I'm attempting to propagate are in tiny glass votives with no drainage. I just made some small clay pots at home WITH drainage so they will be living in those soon.

The little group of repotted succulents in the middle - does it look like there are too many in there? Makes sense that the roots would become difficult to manage. I read that succulents like to be crowded so I just went for it. If you think that's too much, I will separate some out in another pot with drainage. Really want them to do well.

So far the reppoted succulents seem to be doing well in their new home with their new gritty mix - no visual concerns yet. Fingers very much crossed.

No sign of anything happening with my cuttings though. I've been misting them lightly every few days per the consensus I found online. They've all calloused over, just nothing else happening. I hope they'll materialize!

Mom's money plant cuttings are in water with leaves exposed but the root nodes submerged. Hope I will get a baby money plant going!

8. purpleinopp

All of my succulents are planted in group pots. I don't have room to keep hundreds of them in separate pots.

For any plant, as long as the roots have oxygen & moisture at the same time (not just one or the other,) they should grow vigorously.

A few crammed combo pots:

2016-12-26 016.JPG
    2016-12-26 028.JPG
    2016-12-24 033.JPG
    2016-12-24 072.JPG
    2016-12-10 006 (2).jpg

9. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

WOW! Thank you for sharing those, so great for me to see! They're gorgeous and look like they're all thriving! So beautiful and tons of visual texture.

Like all of you, I probably will learn a lot by experimenting and seeing what works. For now the repotted succulents all *look* like they're doing well so I won't mess with them for now. I am excited to share pictures of the little clay pots I made at home, will do as soon as I get the little succulent leaves in there. So far no sign of propagating activity though. I think I must have done something wrong or perhaps the lack of humidity from the dry air inside the heated house. Or maybe when propagating, it's best to use rich potting soil and not gritty mix. Learning...

purpleinopp likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

Happy to share and enable, I mean encourage!

The primary rule when propagating succulent stem cuttings is to let the donor piece dry at least overnight, so the wound heals/seals and bacteria can't cause rotting.

If doing the individual leaf thing, for plants that will propagate that way, laying them on a windowsill until I see the baby plant and tiny roots, then put in soil, seems to work so much better than trying to put in soil from the start.

Have fun out there!

Venus414 likes this.