Picked this morning--squash!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 16, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I picked three zucchini, three coosa, and three Striata d'Italia squash this morning. Even though the garden was muddy I knew that if I didn't get in there and rescue the squash, we'd have huge squash by tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    Mid-May squash ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

I can heartily recommend Striata d'Italia--it is a meaty squash with a very small seed cavity, even when it is very large.
    The Coosa is an experiment this year and so far, after eating two and giving away three, it seems to be a keeper.Zucchini is zucchini, and I can't tell much difference between the varieties, except that the ball types are less productive.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I picked a yellow summer squash this morning because it was getting too fat. I picked another Japanese eggplant and a few beans and peas and some swiss chard. I think chicken soup coming up soon. I have chicken cooking in the slow cooker.
    I, also, dug around my potato plants that were turning yellow and found some small potatoes to use with it.

Yours are just a tad larger than mine so far and my zucchini is still small. I counted 18 small tomatoes and 4 little green peppers this morning.

dooley

4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

This is my second season trying for squash, wish me luck.... last year was horrid. This year I think I may have a handle on it.... I have two young butternut squash plants.... and I planted 4 more seeds today....

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane those look great. Do the italian ones taste any different than the reg. green zukes and what are the other ones (I assume a summer squash)? and where did you come by them and how do you use them?

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looks much better than the stuff in aisle 20. Do you have shopping baskets? :)

Jerry

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I wish hubby and cuz would grow some squash... I much rather them than peas... and peas... and some more peas

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mmmm, looks good! I can't wait to have stuffed squash. It might be too late for this year, but I may look for Striata d'Italia next year. They sound great for stuffing!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, My hubby likes peas, too. We have 9 50' rows out. I am intending to sell a good portion of them, but I think we are growing so many because he likes them. ;)

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, the striped ones are the Striata, and the green ovals are Coosa, both summer squashes. Striata tastes different from regular zucchini, although it is a variety of zucchini. The difference is hard to explain--it is firmer, even when cooked, and tastes less "sweet". Sorry I can't do better! I get the seed from Pinetree Seeds. I use both raw in salads or to dip with. Coosas seem to be built for stuffing, and both are great on the grill, cut lengthwise and brushed with olive oil and a bit of crushed garlic.
    Jerry, in about two weeks I'll ship you a crate of squash! They are coming on big now, and I pick daily.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like this posting MG.
    Those light green ones I grow every year and they are the most prolific of the types that I grow regularly. I like the taste of them as well.
    It seems that they have a creamy flavour to me (very slight).
    My partner is a smoker and says that she cannot taste the difference.

12. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Nice looking squash MG! You're way ahead of us!

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, yes, the Coosas do taste creamy-perfect description of their delicate taste. I'm glad to hear they are prolific, since I can take all the extras to the food pantry.