Plant a little extra

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 22, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If you can, and have the space, plant a few extra vegetables. We plant much more than we can eat, with the intention of donating to the local food pantry.
    If you have a local soup kitchen or food pantry, and if garden produce can be accepted (local laws vary) you can make quite a difference for those in need.
    When we take a basket or two of fresh produce into our local food pantry, we know that it will be going to a handicapped person, elderly person, or family that really needs it. I must admit I get more joy out of giving than anyone does from receiving, but if everybody is happy, who cares!
    Growing a garden is one of life's pleasures, and sharing is another.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We have been growing extra for a while now and donate it to the Seniors Club. They serve low cost meals and even deliver to house bound people. The seniors really appreciate the vine ripened tomatoes, chard, beets and carrots.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

The food bank loves getting tomatoes. This particular food bank is privately/church owned. I was hesitant regulations would prevent them from accepting it, but they said they could.

marlingardener likes this.