Plant Names Which Really Hit At Home!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Mar 6, 2024.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Although officially this plant is called Aloe-Vera. However unofficially it's called "Mother-In-Law's Tongue" or "Saas Ki Zabaan" In the Urdu language of my country - Because it's long, ugly, with thorns on either side of it, as well as pretty tough to get rid off once it gets firmly rooted in your house. Even though it's a and highly beneficial and medicinal plant, (useful as a plant rooting agent too when your propagating other plants by cutting). But because of it's physical appearance, it's often referred to as your mother-in-law's tongue...

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

Anyhow there is a pretty funny story behind how I learned this name, from my father, when I was 7 years old, (and so since that day till today, I now can't help but see the face of my late maternal grandmother in this plant)... In fact I myself actually started referring to this plant as "Aama Ki Zabaan", meaning big mama's tongue! It's actually no secret that I really loathed my maternal grandmother, I still do, and forever will.

:chuckle:

However I'll talk about that story later in the thread, if anyone really wants to know - For now I just want to ask, if there are any other official or unofficial plant names which too are in a way really hitting at home???

:smt005

1709697185964_copy_1008x1344.jpg

Editing this posted: I just did a little Googling, and discovered that in rest of the world the Snake Plant is sometimes called "mother-in-law's tongue" (Which isn't thorny, see picture below) - However in my part of the world and my household in particular, it's the Aloe-Vera plant that we call mother-in-law's tongue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Over here in the UK the Aloe Vera is that name and the second pic is the mother- in laws tongue and snake plant in other countries as well.

Pacnorwest and S-H like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Mother in law tongue is also the second pic here in the us. It’s a long sharp tongue - reference to sharp critic .

S-H and Logan like this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

So a Western mother-in-law only has a long and sharp tongue. While a Pakistani one is not just long and sharp, but is also encrusted with thorns as well - Makes perfect sense!

:snicker: :rofl: :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Logan like this.