Pleased to meet ya! Southern Texas here

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Chele, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Chele

Chele New Seed

Hey everyone!

My name is Michele; you can call me Chele for short if you like. I am a 25 year old administrative assistant living in southern Texas with my family consisting of my mother, my husband and my two children Molly and Oreo both poodles the age of 6. I came upon Garden Stew when on a search for answers to questions about my newly received lucky bamboo plant.

So far I have enjoyed navigating through the site, the forums look informative and the folks (while they may have been only two) are sure nice and very pleasant, I'm sure everyone is around here - seems to me like quite the community.

I don't have much more to say, before I had my bamboo I only had one other plant and that was a small begonia plant some years ago. My mother was always the one with the knack for keeping plants, time's change though, who knows maybe I might develop a green thumb myself.

In the mean time I look forward to getting to know everyone! Hello again and thanks for reading.

Chele

2. Loading...

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome Chele from East Texas. Where in Southern TX are you? Yes this is a very nice and informative place with wonderful people. My daughter has a dog named Oreo as well as a member here at the Stew.
    I can't help you with your Bamboo plant, but just wanted to say 'a big TEXAS hello'.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hello Chele from central Texas.Welcome
    to our Stew.I'm glad you are trying to
    grow plants.You would probably be able to grow things in pots outside .You didn't say how far south you are but you could probably grow orchids are any tropical plants .I loose myself around my plants.I enjoy just being outside with them.I think all other gardeners are the same.Plants are an antidepressant pill for me.
    I think you will enjoy learning how to care for plants here.

5. Chele

Chele New Seed

Kuntry-
    No worries on the bamboo plant, they already got me squared away as far as that goes. We come from San Antonio, we used to live in Oklahoma but that was when my father was in the Military; when he retired some 5 or so years back, we moved here to be with the rest of our family.

My boy Oreo is the one who is in my avatar, my husband and I don't have any children of our own, so as far as we're concerned they are our children :) Recently though our girl Molly got attacked by the dogs next door, had her right front leg bitten up a little bit. She was mostly scared but she got better real quick. You know us texas girls, we're tough as nails ;)

Glen-
    Thanks for the welcome, I should have stated more clearly I do enjoy the concept of having a garden. I think it would be wonderful to have a garden, but truth of it is I just haven't seem to get a handle on it yet - rather than go out and kill a perfectly good plant that might have stood a chance with someone else I'll take it slow and stick to my bamboo for a little while longer. Though the thought of a garden is something that I can see myself enjoying; if only I were any good at it :)

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Chele :wave:
    Sending you a warm WELCOME from southern Ontario!
    I started years ago with just one plant too. I don't think I could count them all now!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:wave: Chele for the second time!! :stew1: So glad you posted an intro about yourself so that we all get a chance to meet you. I herald from a small 17th century village in West Lothian, Scotland where it's very chilly at the moment. :sulk:

Really happy to have you here. :D

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Then you are about 3 hours from me.You probably couldn't raise tropical plants as it gets very cold in San Antonio.Lots of other plants would do great.I didn'tknowanything about plants are planting when I started and the Stew has helped me so much.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome, Chele, from mid-Norway! :) This is a very friendly community with lots of knowledgable people, and I'm sure you'll enjoy stewing with us.

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Chele and a very warm welcome to GardenStew. There is a lot going on here you are right :) Some of the friendliest folk you will meet are here to answer any questions you may have.

Don't forget to check out our blogs, member map and calendar.

// frank

11. Chele

Chele New Seed

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the links I've already started looking through the blogs and getting a feel for what it's like around here - it reminds me of a dog forum I am on, instead of dogs, it's Home and Garden :D

I'm glad I landed here already

12. budagardener

budagardener Seedling

Welcome Chel from Buda Texas. You are going to love it here. There are so many great tips and people sharing. It's been nice having all the folks from Texas share their tips for our zones too.

13. Sapphire

Sapphire Seedling

Hi Chele! I'm a Texas neighbor, (Oklahoma) and I'm still kind of a 'newbie' here myself, but everyone treats me very warmly and I know they will you also! I'm 27 and a mom of 4 children (Hannah 6, Hailey 2, Kramer, (dog) and hubby :p) Always glad to meet new people! Hope you like it here.

14. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Hello chele from the northern state of Michigan. Take your shoes off and make yourself comfortable (in a matter of speaking). Plenty of threads and posts to jump into. I have a vege garden mostly, but am going to put in a new flower garden this spring. Hope you continue to enjoy yourself here.

15. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi there Chele
    Lovely to meet you. Welcome freom South Africa.
    I am glad you decided to Stew with us. :stew1:

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hello Chele...a big welcome from Wisconsin.. I am glad you found us.