Pottery and Porcelain.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi AA. Good to see another glass, porcelain and pottery collector. Would very much like you to get that camera out and send us some pics of any you have. I like all P&P regardless of its colour, pattern etc but my especial interest is in blue and white (transfer ware or painted) particularly 19th cent and before. Ref discarding any with damage well I never have and never would - agree with you that it all forms part of the items history and whats more buying damaged items in many many cases is the only way "joe average" like myself can afford it. I stress again here as I have twice already I am not in it for value or making profits - I collect it because I love to own it, love to look at it, love to read about it and the potters who made it and do as much research about it all as possible. I am able to do some repairs to it such as chips, painting in etc to tidy it up for display and this I do. I have bought items (especially plates) in many pieces and "reassembled" them purely for the reasons stated.
    So will look forward to seeing some of your items. Yourself having started the topic off again (for which thanks) I will take the opportunity to send some more pics of my own, more cups and saucers. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks Sydney. :)

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi AA. Gosh thanks are not necessary - its really good to see you join in and I/we are looking forward very much to seeing some of your collection and hearing your thoughts. This comment incidentally equally applies to all on site especially anyone who may be feeling a little shy to post for some reason or another - please dont be - be great to see your collections or even just single items.
    Again I am going to take this opportunity of sending some more of my pics Willow or not - its all P&P and its all beautiful. Thanks to all from me. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eileen, Henry Johnson, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I just wanted to comment on chipped pottery old and new pottery. Most of my old hand-me-downs are chipped and are used regularly. They were made with 'safe' materials unlike some modern pieces. I was only one of many grandchildren. I also have new daily dishes that were purchased from discount places that are the old reissued patterns from Spode and Johnson Bros. The Asiatic Pheasant was bought both singly and as a set. I tend to break daily used pieces occasionally so it is nice to have modern pieces I like but am not emotional about. It's all about having things around that make you smile.

[​IMG]
    Modern plates from Spode and Johnson Bros get ten at discount places ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )[/]

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jewell, those are simply lovely! I agree about using the pottery/plates when possible. I like to handle our pieces and think of all the hands that have been on them over the years.

6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi jewell - Jane- all. Two nice plates and we also have and use some of these modern reproductions from such as Spode, Wedgewood, Johnson Bros etc - theres quite a lot of other ones about also.
    Ref the Asiatic Pheasants pattern it must be getting on to being as popular as the Willow - much of it was made. Will send more pics later including one showing the old repairing method on pottery using metal staples - none of the modern adhesives then.
    This is an edit to this comment. The first pic shows an 1845'ish version of the Asiatic Pheasants pattern, jewell can compare it with her modern one. The next two pics are as promised the face and reverse of a plate put back together in the method used in Victorian/Edwardian days before suitable adhesives were about - just for interest the plates pattern shows the 18th cent Vauxhall Gardens in London - this was a "posh" leisure park but which over a period of time so I read became a lot less "posh" and the haunt of footpads and goodness knows what else - nuff said!. The other plates are some more of my collection - I do so want you all to see them. When I can will send the final batch as promised originally - some nice Chinese plates and bits and pieces. Regards. Syd.
    PS. Will tell of how that repairing was done next post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jewell

I have always admired dishes that were stapled back together and wondered how they were able to accomplish such a feat. Love seeing all the various patterns. The one with the deer is one I would have had trouble not picking up. Quite enchanting and unusual, plus I like deer/animal motifs.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Sydney, do not give up on your posts. I am still trying to decide how to lay out my pottery collection for pictures. It has been busy here, and I have not even had a chance to play with it. Others will chime in too. Sometimes one of us will surprise you. In real life, I have lots going on, as I am sure we all do. I do not get to pop in here on a daily basis. If you want to get my attention, drop me a personal note, and I will see it when I do get to pop in here. I am sure it is the same for the others here too.

I have a nice peice of black velvet that I can use as a backdrop. [It is waiting to go into a leopard print velvet bedspread if I get so far as to make it.] It is a nice backdrop for display items.

I cant imagine how STAPLES would work on China or other pottery plates. That is interesting. :stew1:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi jewell - AA - all.
    The stapled plate seems of interest so for those who do not know how it was done may I please explain. Firstly though ref the plate shown and its pattern - as stated it is in the Vauxhall Gardens in London and shows the Bandstand. The place finally came into great disrepute so I read and was closed - whether theres an open area there today I know not - will check it out.
    The stapled repairs were often made from the back of a handcart outside your front door but no doubt "repair shops" existed where they could have been done even more accurately. Taking the shown plate as an example pairs of opposite holes were drilled at intervals along the break - whatever the distance these hole centres were apart the copper staples (bridges) were made that bit shorter - heated so that they expanded and increased their length to these hole centres and inserted they then cooled and contracted thus pulling the joint tightly together - wonderful I think and with so little equipment to do it with. I have several examples.
    May I please now just show the Chinese items I mentioned - most of it is unmarked so I cannot give details but it was purchased as 19th cent - some may even be Japanese but its all lovely and it is all interesting. The first pic I feel does have a certain transfer printed look about it in which case it is not Chinese but perhaps someone can say. The last two pics show the face and reverse of the same plate - the marks are interesting in that they show a "Reign" in the 16th cent (Cheng Hua?) I believe suggesting the plate was made then - I read that the Chinese being rightly proud of their wonderful past porcelain achievements years later copied a lot of it - but (innocently) copied its marks also. If this plate were that old t'would be great but its more likely later say 18th/ 19th cent - only an expert could say - I certainly cannot. Have to say though what a lovely thing it is - all that hand painting. Some of the others have some painting on their reverses but no where near to that one. Any thoughts or comments welcomed as always. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell, Philip Nulty and AAnightowl like this.
  10. Jewell

Enjoyed reading the description of how the staples were applied. Interesting craft considering the tools that were available at the time.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi jewell. Yes indeed most interesting as is the whole subject of P@P. I spent many many hours looking at pics, reading much text and did at one time have a fair to middling understanding of much of it. Much was done whilst commuting on trains for fourteen years. I have many books on the subject so do have a reference if I do need to look anything up. One of the most interesting parts of it was trying by research to identify which Pottery made items, there being so very much of it sold unmarked - can only really I found recognised it from comparison with others which are marked or pictures in books.
    Been jolly nice sharing pics of our P@P as indeed it was sharing those of our gardens and plants - many thanks to yourself and all.
    Hope you are having a good Xmas day - I have spent a couple of hours outdoors with a camera seeing what bird life is about - the usuals but also surprise surprise did actually have a couple of Goldfinches come and have a look at the feeders - only stayed a while but hopefully they will come back. Best wishes to you.
    An edit this. Ref the stapled plates pattern Vauxhall Gardens - looked it up and read it first opened 1661 - was closed 1859 - used as a housing area and then after WW2 the current Recreational Area and Community Farm was started. Looked after by Lambeth Parks and Open Spaces. Syd.

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

That is so neat how they repaired broken china and pottery back then. Thanks for telling how it was done. I have some nice peices, but do not know many details about them. Now that Christmas is over, maybe I can get some photography done.

Today, we went out to eat for dinner, and on the way home, we saw a very large flock of wild turkeys in a field. We tried to take pictures, but they were too far away for ordinary digital cameras.

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sydney,..i have gone back over this thread a few times as its nice to study the designs,..as Jewell mentioned that plate with the deer caught my eye as well,..unusual.

Sydney everything you have posted so far is so beautiful and interesting,..many of those cups and saucers look like porcelain and delicate,..which reminds me that was great information about the repairs with the staples,..i always wondered how that was done.

======================================================

Hi Jewell,..nice collection of Southwest/Mexican Ollas and the Cat Planters,..you have quite a lot of the latter.

Those two plates look very old and well used,..one wonders who used them in the past and just what they ate off them,..imagination can conjure up everything.

====================================================

hi AAnightowl,..when ever you get the chance get camera in hand and photograph your collection,..look on it as a dusting chore,.. :D

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi AA - Philip - all. Thanks for the kind comments but be assured it is myself who is more than delighted that you all also have this interest - as I said it is a fascinating one and the more you delve into it the more it gets to be so.
    I will send more pics and also if requested any info I can about them. Having said that just for further interest I do have a comprehensive selection of books including Potters Back Marks (UK, Europe and international) including Geoffrey Godden, Schaffers etc.
    Hope your Xmas time is good. Syd.
    An edit - I wanted to send a few more pics of some oddments of P@P. Two lots so if someone would kindly just add a small comment after this first batch I will send the rest. Most important is the first two pics showing (as I believe) an early 19th cent cup, its decoration inside and out - I think it is Chamberlains Worcester. Also a plate from the same pottery - both were in pieces and I have "reassembled" them purely so that I may look at and admire them - the rest are interesting and can tell of them if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. May I show you some more of my Pottery items? Different from plates these but sure you will find them just as interesting I feel. Hope you like them - do say and I have more. Please do comment and also ask if you would like to know anything about them, or indeed the items I have already sent.
    Ref that first large jug it is actually a plaster casting and it shows Bacchanalian (sp?) dancing and revelry. I found it in a badly bashed about condition in a dusty corner in an old Antique shop
    and very carefully with plaster fillings and much careful shaping got it back up to scratch. Age unknown but likely early 19th Cent. It is about 13 inches tall and 6 in diameter. Syd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.