Potting Benches

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Dirtmechanic, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I am gathering ideas for an outdoor potting bench. It will have a small roof I think. You may even call it a gardening bench as some activity will include 15 gallon containers. Anyway, if I promise not to paint it in camouflage colors or neon pink can I elicit a few functional suggestions from you about what you like about your setup?

Wheels? A insert screen cutout area that can be changed out for different types of compost filtering? Is 8 feet too wide? What about depth?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I used a covered shaded 4 piece rod iron frame / legs bolted to the cement cistern with a framed rod iron canvass roof covered top, purchased at a store. It was easy to put together and had a place to set pots on the side attached to the frame.

Add a couple of chairs … It had many uses. Day and night .

Logan, Dirtmechanic and eileen like this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I have been advised that chairs, shade, and adult beverages are all important. I had not thought of a cooler. I suppose shelf space is possible but really why not just out on the grounds?

Logan, eileen and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

I suppose you could sit on a cooler. But we were out in a completely different area in the garden which also turned out to be a nice spot to watch the bats at dusk catch bugs. The cistern concrete top was actually the top of our water storage pumped from the well for the house. I couldn’t let that concrete space go to waste so planted plants around it added a pre fab rod iron frame and covering walls open that was stable to withstand winds without it becoming a huge build where permits are required. Made a great area to pot plants. It was a diverse area used for different functions.

Logan and eileen like this.