Putting A New Spin On An Old Method

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 16, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We harvested Spinach for the second time yesterday. I can report that our experiment with planting spinach in little pots and the setting them out do better than just planting them in a drill the normal way. Well, this unorthodox way of planting works better for me in this location...how they would do in other parts of the world, I do not know. It looks as though I may get three harvests and who knows, perhaps more. This is unknown to us here, and that is why I am so excited about the new method.

We planted five seeds in small seeding pots. Then let them germinate, and after they had two sets of leaves we hardened them off out on the front balcony.

After a couple of weeks, we put them out in the full ground in the lottie.
    Then:
    tuin9a.jpg

The two rows of those sad-looking plantlets are the ones germinated at home. On that same day, we planted seeds in a drill as a back-up and to see which would do better. They were up in 5 days.

Here is the bed a couple of days ago...the sowed seeds are left and the pre-germinated rows are right. At the time of the foto the two rows on the left had already been harvested once...the ones in the row to the right not yet.
    prei07.jpg

Yesterday we harvested the second time. Here is right after the second harvesting:
    spin.jpg

The onion sets are coming along pretty well too.

At home that evening, we processed the second batch of spinach.
    tuin8.JPG

Yes indeed...I am well pleased with this new spin on spinach growing.

Red Audrey, 2ofus, 102christa and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Interesting. I just had the first harvest from spinach that I planted out in the garden last fall! The seeds I planted this spring are barely up. Nice surprise after a mild winter.

2ofus, Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sjoerd,, try stir frying your fresh spinach. Few minutes in about two or three tbsp preheated oil just till wilted and tender add three good pats of butter and salt to taste. Stir till butter is melted and hot,,. then eat. Its heaven on a plate!

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sjoerd,..as they say if it works for you keep doing it,..your Spinach is looking very good.

I used to sow a summer and winter variety,..summer ones were planted every few weeks from March to the end of May and picking up to October,..and picking leaves often to promote growth,..winter sowing in August and September that allowed us to have Spinach up to the following April,..i love Spinach myself and many people who bought my veg asked for Spinach.

Mart,..that's the way i like it,..very tasty:like:

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTY--You have your spinach going really good there...from last year and then the newly planted ones from this year.

I agree MART--It really does taste good that way. I sometimes do a tad of garlic thereby. Me and garlic--we go way back.

Thanks PHILIP--Yes, I think that we will do it this way next year again. I like leafy veg in general.

Philip Nulty likes this.