Question about AOL????

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Sherry8, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I thought I would like Aol desktop but I don't. I downloaded 9.1 AOL but it doesn't give me an area to put the password in and it keep asking for it. Do I have to delete the desktop in order to sign in on the 9.1 version of AOL? I am so confused with this..I had put spybot on my computer and it took off so much stuff that I needed and I don't know how to fix it like it was.....I just don't want to delete the only way I can use AOL (the desktop right now) unless I know for sure then the 9.1 would let me sign in.. I want to keep AOL because everyone has my e-mail address and I don't want to change..thank you, any help will be appreciated...Sherry8

2. Loading...

3. aliencam

aliencam New Seed

Sorry if i don't understand your problem correctly, but here is what I think you need to do (I'm not sure as I don't have AOL on a computer anywhere that I can access)

Try starting up AOL and when it asks you for a password click cancel, then it should take you to a screen where it lets you add a new user or change your password. Or you should be able to access the "file" menu at the top left and somehow change the users from there. Look for something like "Add user," "account preferences," "user preferences" "users" "accounts" or something similar.

and just as another note, you do not have to continue to pay for AOL to keep your AOL email address. You can switch to a much cheaper internet provider that offers the exact same features. All you need to do to get to your aol email if you have a different ISP is to go to aol.com and login. You can even access your email from other people's computers and public (such as library) computers the same way.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't pay for AOL. But like I said I don't want to change my e-mail address because it is too much work to notify everyone that I switched.

I don't know how but I am on AOL through Mozilla fire fox...it gives me a different answer all the time. That is what is so confusing..one time it tells me that the network cable is unplugged, or the local area connections is now connected . It is different all the time. If the cable was unplugged how could I get on the internet? I think I will have to hire the geeks to come and clean this computer out if they are not too expensive. (the geeks is a group that help people)..Thank you for your reply and I will try some of your ideas... Sherry8

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

We ran from AOL as soon as we got high speed cable. Too many problems with AOL. AND the worse customer service dept. on earth!

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Wouldn't have or use AOL if someone paid for me! Supposedly it is the most user friendly ISP, that is coming from AOL users, but I have heard too many conflicting things about it!

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

we call it AOHELL....when we got rid of it we had to wipe our hard drive in order to remove all the AOL files. AOL puts updates where ever they want! NO Good...and we now use AVAST home version as our anti virus (no more mcaffee or norton, nothing but trouble) and no more interenet explorer, just using mozilla. Since we did this we have not gotten a single virus or worm in our system.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I had AOL once to my sorry and it was alreadyon this computer when it was purchased but has never been brought up.I deleted from my first computer and it fights back .It took out my modem had to call and have help putting the modem back on.I didn't know much about computers back then.I wont mess with AOL at all.

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

That is a good idea! It is EVIL!

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Thats the way I feel too.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Gardenmama I forgot about how AOL adds all kind of junk at will. I have thought about Firefox as IE7 is dropping me all the time!! Is FF difficult to use and navigate around in?

12. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

FireFox is very easy and you can import all your bookmarks from AOL Interenet Explorer when you load it in. Looks the same but you don't have all trh problems. After you install it you go to FILE and choose import and follow the steps to get your favorites.