Quinoa, am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Dec 17, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yesterday at the Kimbell Art Museum cafe, I had my first encounter with quinoa. I'd never had quinoa, and they offered a quinoa and vegetable salad (I admit, I was olive diving and ended up with more olives than anything else).
    I just don't get it--the quinoa, sans olives, tasted much like I imagine the scratch for my hens tastes. It has a crunchy texture that isn't particularly pleasant for me, and the taste was kind of "uncooked ground corn".
    What am I missing? Was this just an unfortunate use of quinoa, or does quinoa really taste like bits of grain? I know it is supposed to be good for you, but sometimes taste trumps healthy.

Henry Johnson and fatbaldguy like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Bryby
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has officially declared that the year 2013 be recognized as "The International Year of the Quinoa."

I think it's one of the fad foods that come and go quite regularly. Doesn't matter if it tastes horrible, it's healthy and all the 'in' people are eating it at the 'in' restaurants. :rolleyes:

marlingardener and fatbaldguy like this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I use quinoa like rice. I use chicken broth, mushroom or tomato water instead of water. It makes a great casserole or salad or side.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am just this side of having diabetes so quinoa is a carb that I can legitimately eat. My husband (family chef) makes it with homemade chicken broth (I make the broth!) & it is g-o-o-d. But I like texture & crunch. I also know that not everyone does.

But speaking of Art Museums, my husband & I had a lunch at an Art Museum some 5 years back. All they had was macrobiotic this and macrobiotic that. We dubiously chose muffins. Even I couldn't stick them. ! ! ! (said by one who likes quinoa, rye berries, & farro). I had to drink two cups of water just to get the dry stuff down.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way! you expressed it perfectly! :p

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I make quinoa salad for my vegetarian daughter, and we all eat it. I use chopped veggies and lots of garlic and onion, and cook the quinoa in veggie stock. I also use a bit of teriyaki and sesame oil. My youngest (11) finds the texture unpleasant.