really need help with plants!

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Feistywidget, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

NOTE: Don't need advice on growing seedlings under grow lights/greenhouse. Have tried growing transplants; have no exp, don't know any gardener who can help. Have tried asking local greenhouses if they will grow veggie seeds in flats; they said no, not possible.

Don't expect one person to grow all veggies listed; list is there as guideline, that's it.

Live in MI, northern part of lower peninsula.

Was wondering if ppl would take my seeds and grow transplants for me. Then when ready, ship to me; would be priority shipping as they're live plants; yes I'd pay shipping costs.

Would also be more than willing to give whoever is growing veggie transplants some of the plants.

If interested, please either send me a private message via this forum. If e-mail contact is preferred, here are my e-mail addresses....

Moderator note: Removed email adresses, please share only in a PM

Here are the list of seeds I have:

NOTE: all the squash and melon varieties are bush/semi-bush types.

*spaghetti squash
    *butternut
    *lettuce
    *cabbage (green and red)
    *pumpkin (sugar pie)
    *delicata squash
    *acorn squash
    * sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange, green)
    *cucumber
    *zucchini

*cauliflower (white; also purple, green, and orange if interested)

*acorn squash
    *eggplant
    *tomatoes (paste, slicers, and cherries/grape)
    *cantaloupe
    *watermelon (yellow and pink flesh)

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm just curious.... with the price of shipping, wouldn't it cost about the same as just going out and buying your plants from a local nursery? Or are these very hard-to-find varieties?

4. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

Yes the cost would be about the same, and yes the varieties I have are more rare.

What is available w/tomato, pepper, and eggplant varieties, they're traditional varieties that are late maturing (70-80 days for tomatoes; 70-90 days for eggplants).

Varieties I have can also be spaced closer together, thus increasing yields (w/out encouraging disease, stressing plants out etc.)

I know how short growing season is here, so have picked early maturing varieties (50-60 days for tomatoes, eggplants, etc.; for squash/melons, 60-75 days)

For tomatoes and peppers, varieties listed are in various colors, as are the cauliflower; they're just healthier.

Squash/melon varieties are traditional vining varieties; don't have space to grow them. Soil in ground here is very poor w/fertility, so have to use container gardening.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

With that number of plants in flats, it would seem to be cost prohibitive. I just sent three plants (under 2 lbs) and cost was over ten dollars with two to three day delivery time. Over night would have been over $30. Commercial growers get a bulk rate and cost is less for them. Wouldn`t it be better to order the plants from one of those companies ? Sure would be less money and most guarantee their plants. Even UPS And Fed X would be a crap shoot as well as expensive. And even then you don`t know how plants will arrive,, healthy or dead.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FW, I just thought I should add my 2cents worth to your request also. In my honest opinion you will not get any squash/cucurbits to survive shipping. They are way too fragile for that kind of beating. I know you said you tried to grow them yourself nor would a greenhouse do it for you, but I would try this again and try another greenhouse. Look around for a little place that may be able to help you out. We have several around here who do this by request. Squash/cucurbits are a very easy start....they take about 5 days (on a heating pad) to come up and another couple days til planting time. I have even done this for people who stop by and ask if I would start this or that for them, this year was kohlrabi for a complete stranger. I would start your plants if you want to drive to my house to pick them up, but I wouldn't ship them to you, I don't think there is any way most of them would survive shipping. I live about 3 hours from Detroit Straight down I80 to I71 to SR224. It is an easy drive, just takes time.

The peppers and eggplant are getting to be a little late to get started. Can be done, but will be small for when it is time to get them in the garden.

7. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

Yeah regarding the greenhouse I have questions about it and here they are....

I don't know what kind of greenhouse to get other than it has to be portable as the plot is mine but the land isn't; as such, can't make any permanent changes.

I know it'll be a lean to or a miniature one; that's it.
    Does it need to be heated?

Also do seedlings in greenhouses need to be hardened off? Realize they're in protected environment but techically they'll still be outside.

Are growlights in greenhouse necessary or no so long as area gets decent sun?

Also do seedling transplants require more sunlight than established plants? I ask cause they're more sensitive w/everything.....fertilizing, moisture w/soil, temps, etc.

Do they need brighter sun and for longer period than established plants?

Also w/eggplant was told it's getting late. The varieties I have are early maturing, 50-55 days.

Typically how old (in weeks) should eggplant transplants be. Also they will be grown in containers, so 'ground soil being too cold' doesn't come into play as much.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Since you are starting seeds,, most all you have will require the same. Warm, moist soil, and sun with ventilation when they get a bit older. Its quite simple really. Some just talk this stuff to death and make it sound like you need to be a rocket scientist to stick a seed in the ground and wait for it to germinate and grow. You can actually take one of those kids wading pools and make a pretty good cold frame. Just make holes in the bottom for drainage. And for heat, find one of the old waterbed heaters to sit it on. Water will not hurt it as the heaters have a really tough cover in case the bed should leak. And it takes little electricity, about the same as a light bulb. Add compost, potting soil or whatever, lay clear plastic over top, and you have a cold frame. Turn heat off when weather gets warm enough and uncover to harden off, through out the growing process. You can start a lot of seeds in one like this.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  9. Feistywidget

Feistywidget New Seed

Really love kiddy pool idea.

Whatever heating method is used (heat mats, portable greenhouse heaters, the waterbed heater, etc.) they all require plug outlets.

I'd be using a mini greenhouse, either lean to or double coldframe greenhouse (yes it IS both). It's a 3' x 3'; can't use standard greenhouse, land isn't mine. Also don't have space or finances for standard one. Mini greenhouse doesn't have plug outlets.

Space heater I don't want to use, it emits gases that plants are sensitive to.

Was thinking of using hot water bottles, placed under flats; is this possible and if so how many for 3' x 3' greenhouse? How long would they stay hot (they'd be insulated by being wrapped in towels)

Also how many flats for 3' x 3' greenhouse w/out overcrowding?

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

What is the current temperature where you are day time and night ? One thing you forget if you do not have a plug for heat is passive solar heat. Take the kiddie pool and spray paint the outside black, it will absorb heat during the day. The plastic on top makes it a greenhouse with same conditions. As long as you have sun and temp is not below freezing it should be fine. You can also raise the temp in the pool by adding some compost material under the soil layer. The compost layer will heat up and start breaking the material down and provide the seeds with enough heat to germinate and grow well. Thats how I used to store all my plants on the porch. I would stick all in my compost pile and cover them up during winter. About once a month I would uncover them as long as temp was above freezing and cover them back up for a cold snap. In spring just put them in the sun and they came back fine. Only thing I lost was a cactus. I think I cooked it!