Red the Squirrel - the poser.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Melody Mc., Apr 20, 2024.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I know the love hate relationship with these little guys all too well. Our red squirrels are half the size of the larger grey and black squirrels that most others have. Everyone has an opinion and a story about how much they dislike their destructive nature and the depths they go to remove them.

This post is simply to show off this little poser. They are still wildlife, and cute looking scoundrels.

The more squirrels I remove, the more come by from the forest. I can always tell a new comer because they are wondering what I am, and are not fearful. This little fella showed up while I was in the garden, and was quite happy to pose for a few photos.

I'm not sure how long until he is asked to relocate, but if he just choses to wander by and not be a bother, I may see him again.

As impish and greedy little goblins as they can be, he is a cute one.

red the squirrel.jpg

curious imp.jpg

Imp.jpg

cheeky imp.jpg

Frank, Daniel W, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Squirrels (aka tree rats) are cute! We don't have them since they stay in the pecan groves along the creek about one half mile from us so I can enjoy your photos without grinding my teeth!

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Oreti like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

HAH! We call them rats with fluffy tails. :) Red has already been relocated - he thought the porch was a good hangout. Nope. :)

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

They are a huge pest in my area. They like to bury the hazelnuts from our trees for winter. Every spring I find hazelnut seedlings coming up everywhere. Anyone want a hazelnut tree seedling?

They tease the dogs til there feet are sore from trying to climb up in the trees, lil stinkers. Then they snicker and laugh as the dogs because they can’t climb up the trees. They are mischievous creatures.
    I’ve seen a stellar blue jay chase them round and round a tree trunk. These lil guys are gymnast's
    I did catch my big collie trying to swallow one whole and just in time to make the dog spit it out. YUCK.
    Holes made by the ground squirrels in the built up berm looks like swiss cheese dug into the sides of the berm where the Portuguese Laurel and photinia hedges are planted.

They dig out my dahlia tubers and bury hazelnuts in their place. Although they are quite cute and fun to watch they have also been a bit destructive. The ground squirrels like to dig under the foundation which is a huge job cleaning up their dirt mountains and replacing the soil back under the foundation.

Oregon squirrels and ground squirrels . https://wildcolumbia.org/2021/10/21/squirrels-of-northwest-oregon/

f P1000050.jpeg P1000058.jpeg

IMG_0368.jpeg

P1060029.jpeg
    A few lil trouble makers around my garden.

Daniel W likes this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

My grandfather used to sit on his porch, hand - feeding nuts to the squirrels. Then they would steal his peaches and he'd curse them and shoot at them with his bb gun.

I'm certain they are why I never got hazelnuts, so I removed the hazelnut trees. If I'm not quick, they get my chestnuts. However the chestnut hulls are covered with hundreds of sharp needles until they pop open, which gives me a little more time.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.