Reisentraub tomatoes, info please

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jan 23, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have started Reisentraub cherry tomatoes and haven't grown this variety before. Most of the plants will be given to novice gardeners, and I need information about their productivity, disease resistance, and growth patterns. The information I have gleaned from internet searches is basically from seed vendors, and I need growers/gardeners input.
    If you have grown this variety, would you please tell me everything or anything you know about it--I'll appreciate it immensely!

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Reisenstraube(e) is a tomato leaf red fruited cherry growing on a an indeterminate vine.

Its provinance goes back to PA. dutch.

In south TX I might think about afternoon shade or a shade cloth.

I don't grow tomatoes in containers to ripe crop. So I can't say.

Though by report this IS a container reccomended plant.

Because its an indeterminate stakeing-trellis is on topic for clean fruit.

4. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

The Reisentraub is a HEAVY producer of succulent cherry-type tomatoes and is a "sprawler" if not caged or staked! I've found ONE plant is enough! I can see no reason why this variety can't be grown as a container plant as long as the container is NO SMALLER then a 5-gallon capacity. In the garden, give it room to "expand" even of caged/staked as they can get rather large. Excess GREEN Reisentraubs make EXCELLANT pickled green tomatoes, especially when a few pieces of jalapeno peppers are added to jars for that extra "zippy" flavor.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you for the information! I'll put the Reisentraubes in the seasonal garden, two plants (for insurance in case something happens to one) with sturdy supports.
    I'm looking forward to having lots of cherry tomatoes. I can use the produce from two, if they both survive, because the local food pantry accepts fresh produce, and tomatoes of any size are most welcome.
    Pickled with a bit of jalapenos--I'll have to try that!