Replanting Lilac shoots?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cindyfisch, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cindyfisch

cindyfisch New Seed

OK, so now I'm thinking about something I tried last year and failed miserably at... Replanting shoots from my lilac tree/bush. I would like to make a nice long hedge, and have hundreds of lavender lilac shoots I could use. Last year I tried to just dig some up (with roots on them) and re-plant along the fence. To no avail! Although several were hearty stalks, they all died (probably from neglect). Suggestions? Should I use root-tone type product, should I use only new soil around them? No dogs around any more to dig them up so maybe this year it might work - with some help. Also, is there a problem with mixing different types? I have a double white and a regular lavender - and a little plant that is supposed to have blooms for the first time this year - in yellow! Can I mix shoots or do different varieties need different soils? Thanks, Cindy :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have never tried to root lilac cuttings Cindy but I found this information for you that should help you out.

Step 1 of 6
    Select softwood cuttings. These are the growths from the current year that are green but still stiff enough to break when bent. Cut stems 4 to 6 inches long, two weeks to two months after the plant blooms.

Step 2 of 6
    Cut your stems during the cool part of the day when their moisture content is highest. To help insure success, choose six to eight cuttings to root.

Remaining 4 steps are here:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5953723_root-li ... tings.html