Rescue from big box store!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jul 29, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Two of the containers in the front flower bed had spring flowers which have passed on to the big garden in the sky. When we were at a big box store today getting plywood, I wandered (made a beeline for) to the marked down shelves. I found a lemon lantana and a couple of purple gomphrenias that needed a bit of TLC, a big drink, and re-potting.
    Tomorrow will be playing with potting dirt and settling my new flowers into their containers. All three plants amounted to $4.00 and tax. The lantana will stay in a container until fall, when it will be put into the front flower bed. The gomphrenias, who knows? They might re-seed, they may over-winter, or they may join the other plants in the sky garden!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Great buy!! :D Last year I bought 4 sad, little lantanas from the WalMart markdown table. Brought them home, cut off the ugly stuff, put all 4 in a big pot and they were AMAZING for a long, long time! I went back this year and spoiled myself by purchasing 2 healthy looking ones, hoping they will be as beautiful as last year. I have to say, our WalMart is doing much better with their variety of flowers. Used to be just petunias, pansys, same old same old. Last year the lantana was a great find and this year not only the lantana but he "Digiplexi" were awesome!~ Doesn't it make you think though, if they didn't ask so darn much to begin with, they wouldn't have so many dieing plants going to waste on the mark down table???:rolleyes:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So... are you going to show us some photographs of your bargain plants then? I can hardly believe that you managed to get 3 plants for only $4. I doubt I could get even one Lantana for anywhere near that price even on the mark down shelves.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, I'm down to two plants now. :(
    A friend stopped by and raptured over the gomphrena--"my mother used to grow that; I haven't seen it in years; I sure hope the store has some left." Did that sound like a hint to you? It did to me.
    After hearing the word "no" so often in my childhood, you'd think I'd know how to pronounce it. She left with one of the gomphrenas. So, I have hidden the lantana and other gomphrena in case the word gets out that I'm giving away plants.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane it's not so much that you've never learnt to pronounce the word NO it's more that you have a kind heart. I doubt if I would have turned your friend away empty handed but I am glad that you've hidden your other two plants away. Let's hope they both survive and that you get as much pleasure from them as I'm sure your friend will with her gift of the Gomphrenas.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Those were excellent finds. Jane, I could not have turned down your friend either after hearing her story. I haven't even tried to get to town to look this year but next spring I'll be looking!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh my Jane--What are you like! :dislike: hahaha.
    I'll bet that everyone on here wishes that they had a house next door to yours now.

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup, I also love to shop in the mark down isle. You never know what great bargains one might find.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

You are lucky you could find something to replace some of your plants....we don't have very good pickings here. The weather has just been rough on everything. I lost a couple of large branches from my butterfly bush from the wind yesterday ...but we really needed our rain. Great find for you...