Reveille Is Sounded At The Lottie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was above 10°C today and so I was off to the lottie.

It was time for my potato bed to rise and shine-- Today was the day to do the prep work for this season's spud bed.
    First thing was to remove the plant debris that I used to protect the bed. Next the few bits of grass was removed and the loose soil was levelled.

Next was to dump the aged horse manure in piles on the bed.
    tuin4.jpg

Then the manure was spread over the top of the soil.
    tuin.jpg

Once that was in place then the compost was broadcast on top of it.

tuin2.jpg

Once the manure was covered, the potato plot was re-covered with the plant debris until late march when we will plant the spuds. The soil is so soft and loose I shall just plant the spuds directly into the bed no digging or min-tilling.
    tuin3.jpg

The bed can rest again in peace until planting day.
    Those green plants along the path are leeks.

Droopy, Henry Johnson, Kay and 2 others like this.
  2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Your lottie is so lucky to have you Sjoerd. You are going to have magnificent spuds this year!

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I am just green with jealousy Sjoerd. It looks more like spring there, and you are able to be out there working the soil. Which; by the way looks so wonderful! What a great plot for your future spuds.
    My garden is frozen, and is covered with snow.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Lots of work there Sjoerd but it looks great and you'll have lots of spuds to show for it. Mine is covered in snow now but before that the straw and manure was applied so hopefully it's doing it's job.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a joy to be able to prep your potato bed! We just picked up our seed potatoes (Yukon Gold and LaSoda Reds) and I'm anxious to get out and plant. We won't be planting until mid-February, but I can toss some compost and manure on the beds like you have, Sjoerd.
    Do you mulch your potatoes, or hill?

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Ten degrees? Lucky you! And lucky spuds when they are put in to grow. Those patches look wonderful.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh I can't wait to work in my garden again! Looking good Sjoerd!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much FRANK--I sure hope so.

Sorry to hear that you have snow on the ground there, KAY--When do you expect some semblance of Spring there?

2OF--It sounds like you have your ducks in a row there...just a question of waiting now eh?

MARLING--Interesting to hear that you are trying the Yukon Gold this year. I tried them for the first time last year and was pleased with them. The LaSoda Reds I do not know. I shall have to look those up. Yes, i earth-up my spuds a number of times. Shallowly in the beginning and thereafter, I do it twice. However, first I begin by digging first a trench in the bottom of that trench I then make a hole with a tulip bulb planter. The seed potatos go in here. I fill the trench in a bit, just enough to fill the holes and then a tad extra.

Over time I fill in the trench so that the patch eventually becomes level...then the last two times I plough a trench in-between the rows and earth up the plants with this soil.

Thanks much DROO--I have ordered the spuds and they ought to be coming in in february.

Thank you NETTY-- I shall be willing you an early spring.

Netty likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I like your method of hilling--sounds better than mine! I've been planting in a shallow trench, and then filling in. I think I'll try a deeper trench and planting in a hole in the trench, then filling in like you do. If it doesn't work, I'll expect you to send me some potatoes, Sjoerd!:)

Growingpains and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee, hee hee......Uh-oh.
    Well you know the theory of why one should plant deep and earth-up don't you? The tubers grow off the stem that comes out of the seed spud. The longer it is the more tubers you get.

Growingpains likes this.
  11. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Great pictures and information!
    How much space do spuds need and how many can you get from one plant?

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there Beeker!

Those are two difficult questions to answer because they depend on the person planting the spuds.

For instance how much space needed depends upon how much you want to grow and harvest.

Likewise--how many spuds per plant depends upon what type of spud you have bought and how well you plant and handle the ground.

That must be frustrating for you to read. I can well imagine that.
    So then let me say this to give you an idea about planting them:
    Plant them ~40 cm's between plants ...and 60-70 cm's between rows for middle and late spuds, 50 cm's between rows for early spuds.

Hope this helps.