Rose growing huge but no flowers

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Tina, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

One of my rose is so huge now. When we first moved to the house 6 years back, this plant used to give beautiful, large, pink blooms. But the plant is huge and very very tall. It towers ad then flops over. I prune it about 2 times so far. But the plant grows so fast and so tall and busy. But I get no blooms at all. Whats the reaosn for that? Should I just uproot and throw it away?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What are you feeding it? If the plant food has too much nitrogen then you will get a lot of growth and no blooms.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Did you have a grafted rose and the root stock is growing, but the upper graft maybe died? the rootstock will grow to unmanageable proportions and most likely will never have any flowers on it to speak of, IF the top part( or the grafted on part) died or froze out.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I had the same thought Carolyn. In the NE, there are many of these root stocks growing sans the grafted top. I guess the grafted top can get winter killed. The root stock is like the sumo wrestler of garden roses. In the NE, they do bloom, but the flowers are deep red and small. Not much to write home about, especially considering the size of the rose bush.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Same here! I had the root stock on my "Julia Child" rose go nuts on me! It grew fast & furious, never got another yellow rose, just the tiny, boring old red field rose :rolleyes:

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I guess thats what happened. The root stock is growing but no blooms. I will jus uproot it to give me back my precious real estate.
    Thanks all for responding.

stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love your line about 'precious real estate'. I have come to feel that way too.

stratsmom likes this.
  9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It might not be as easy to pull out as you think :-? As wild as mine was on top of the ground, it was just as crazy underground :rolleyes: I'm still digging out little suckers :eek: