Rue, anyone?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Sep 15, 2010.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I planted rue for the Swallowtail butterflies, and boy, did it work! We have swallowtails laying eggs on the rue, caterpillars eating the leaves, and we are getting more and more butterflies.
    The rue self-seeds and in spring there are several little rues that can be transplanted. Rue is a companion plant to roses (pest deterrent) and to figs, which supposedly grow better with rue nearby. Rue also repels witches and couteracts spells. It seems to work since we haven't met any witches and neither of us has been turned into a toad.
    Rue is an herb, but it's bitter taste pretty well keeps it out of the kitchen. It's so pretty with its blue-green foliage that I put it in flower gardens to contrast with gray foliaged plants.
    Anyone else plant rue?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. DeepWoods
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. jmarc
      Replies:
      Views:

3. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

I used to grow it in Virginia, I bought it at the Farmer's Market. I haven't seen it offered here but I will look for it or buy seeds. Thanks for reminding me about this plant.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have Rue in my garden. I like the color of the foliage, but so far no Swallowtails here.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I planted Rue last spring specifically for caterpillars too, it tried for a couple of months but just gave up in early July....and I swear I didn't cast any spells on it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni,
    Perhaps someone else cast a spell on your rue?
    My herb books say to plant it in full sun, but the ones that are doing best are in afternoon shade. I realize Texas is a long way from Ontario, but when we lived in upstate NY, I found the same. Please don't give up on this butterfly plant yet!

7. Masara

Masara New Seed

I've planted rue from seed in past seasons, but not for maybe four or more years. The plants always grew well, without issue.

The color of the leaves is unusual, and the taste is something like the smell of mothballs. lol