Secret Restorations

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

This is a show on the Blaze Channel, it's pitched, like a sort of a cross between, "The Repair Shop and Gladiators."
    I saw a trailer today, which mentioned that tonight's episode would include the restoration of a jukebox like this one of mine. So I recorded and found the section.

[​IMG]

The subject didn't look too bad, the sides of the cabinet in its, "wood grain laminate," looked OK, although, it wasn't working and the graphics had faded, the chrome just needed some chrome cleaner.
    The gripper arm mechanism needed freeing up and lubricating. The turntable bearing just needed a new circlip, (but they welded it), cleaned a few contacts and replaced the cartridge. So it was working as it should. The owner had had it since 1970.

This is what they did to the cabinet. They couldn't replace the faded record card insert, as since I managed to get my "new old stock" one, they are now made of "unobtainium."

[​IMG]

They didn't bother to polish the chrome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    P1010517.JPG
    Doghouse Riley · Feb 25, 2024 at 10:32 PM

[​IMG]

It still looked like it had a tube out, but the owners were happy, well they would be wouldn't they? It's telly innit?

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

"unobtanium"is a great term!

Willowisp0801, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I’m convinced you could’ve done better.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Anyone could, they ruined it.

You can remove the plastic title card holder and clean it. The chrome can be polished and the metal strip above the lower graphics which isn't chrome but stainless steel as it is more durable, can be buffed up. I haven't bothered to do mine.
    The lower graphics can be sorted. The clear plastic "lozenges" fit into a black plastic frame, this can be removed in one piece. The colours are one sheet of plastic of different colours on the back.
    There's no one that supplies these now. I made my own, out of A4 sheets of red, blue, yellow and green coloured acetate, overlaying them to get the gradual change in colour. Then fixed them to the back of the lozenge holder.
    Behind it is a white board with a fluorescent above it that illuminates the graphics and the button bank above it.
    The board had got discoloured over time, so I repainted it.
    It was all pretty straight forward really.

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I really enjoy hearing about your juteboxes. I have a friend who is into pinball machines. When my kids were young they loved visiting, he had a pool table as well. And we'd walk down the road and the neighbor had buffalo. But the fence posts and poles holding up the over hang by the barn were all carved trolls! We always had to walk down and check it out.

Pacnorwest likes this.