Sewing a Growing Bag Using Landscape Fabric

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Daniel W, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I wanted to see if I could make a couple more growing bags for potatoes. I used double layers of landscaping fabric. This fabric is meant to be used as weed barrier. I calculated the cost, it was about $2 of the fabric. It is sold in rolls. The fabric width was four feet, so I folded it over to make a double thickness, two foot tall bag. I cut the sides 82 inches long, which is about 24 inches times pi. Then I cut two disks for the bottom, 24 inches in diameter.

I sewed together the two disks for a double layer bottom, then sewed about a dozen button holes, an inch long, around the bottom for drainage. These were kind of sloppy button holes, just a seam sewn in a narrow rectangle for reinforcement, and cut holes using scissors.

Then I folded the 82 inch long piece lengthwise, so it is a double layer two feet wide by 82 inches long. I sewed strips of the landscape fabric to the long sides of the rectangular 82 inch long piece, like you would bind a quilt, to reinforce the top and bottom. Then sew on the bottom and two handles.

B61D8445-D03E-4ABA-BD53-66E27D148C1C.jpeg

Opening the bag and folding the sides down, it's like this.

615C29BC-F371-4A9A-8661-2EF71773580C.jpeg

I'm quite happy with this potato growing bag. It's about two feet in diameter, which is a good size. I used denim quality heavy duty polyester thread for the sewing, so it would hold together and not rot. The landscape fabric cut and sewed very easily, actually easier than cotton fabric although you can't iron it because it would melt.

Here is the bag now in my garden.

09978C3A-C6D1-43DD-897F-A1990577838F.jpeg

I poured in 5 gallons of garden mix, mixed in a little organic fertilizer and spread it around a few inches deep. Then added five chitted Kennebec potato chunks, then covered with another five gallons of garden mix. The sides are folded down. As the potatoes grow, and I add more soil mix, I can unfold the sides upward to increase the height.

I don't know if this is a good potato growing method. This year will tell. It's close to my water spigot, so that's not a problem. What I can say is this was very, very much easier than digging a trench for five potato starts.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The construction looks good. I hope you get a decent harvest.

Daniel W likes this.
  4. Anita-92

Anita-92 New Seed

I am looking for interesting ideas. So this has now caught my attention. Thanks for sharing. If I succeed in making a few for myself, i will share the results here. These can be used for flowers too, right?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daniel you have so many great ideas. I can think of lots of uses for the bags you've made.

Cayuga Morning and Daniel W like this.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Crikey Daniel is there no end to your genius :setc_089:

7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Brilliant idea! I have a heavy duty sewing machine I bought in a fit of tarp mania and all I need is the cloth! I want to make some elongated grow bags.

Daniel W and Melody Mc. like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is fabulous! I sent your step by step instructions to my oldest girl. I gave her my grow bags last year. She also reused some old fabric grocery bags. She loves her sewing machine so this is perfect for her. Great job! Thanks Daniel!:like:

eileen and Daniel W like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Daniel, those look great! Please let us know how they work out for potatoes.

Daniel W likes this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Such nice comments. Thank you.
    My instructions might not be the best. Please feel free to ask if something is not clear.

11. JessieJim

JessieJim New Seed

Nice bag! I also have a sewing hobby and I plan to blanket as a gift, if anyone is interested, I took the dimensions from this article https://justtosew.org/quilt-size-chart/ , I plan to make a child blanket :like:

Daniel W likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Wow, :headbang:sure looks like a great idea. Beats hilling the taters up… what a really cool idea… :smt041

Daniel W and eileen like this.