Should I join social media?

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by Islandlife, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Should I Really Join Facebook?

(Priceless)

Read it all the way through! It's a good laugh AND really quite true!! Especially for people in the over 70 get it.

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.

I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my kids, their spouses, my grandkids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation.

I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Bluetooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean, the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then, if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship...

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and now she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, but at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions, checking bathrooms, and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me.

They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out, just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do fart a lot."

P.S. I know some of you are not over 70. I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are. I figured your sense of humor could handle it....

We senior citizens don't need any more gadgets. The TV remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle.

Odif, KK Ng, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't even have a cell phone, I do have an old iphone that hubby has turned into an iPod, I look up TV guide, IMDB and play BookWorm on.
    Hubby loves to use his GPS.....I know where we are going and have been his navigator for 39 years without getting us lost once but the GPS gets us on the wrong road a lot more often than it should.
    I joined Twitter when GardenStew was put on there but have not been there since. I am not on Facebook and will never be, too many people who think they have to know my every move. And I don't really like my relatives (other than kids and grandkids) so why give them a chance to stick their nose in my business.

Jewell, Frank and marlingardener like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had to get a cell phone because the provider for our landline phone kept turning off the service although we were never late with a payment.
    I hate cell phones. I had just learned to navigate the first one, and the provider decided to change something so I got a new one, free. I'd have paid to keep the old one! No Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. here. I really don't care to try to communicate with folks that think their lives are so fascinating that they have to post every doggone minute of it.
    I like our computer; I enjoy conversations with members of the Stew and a couple of cooking forums; but that's as far as it goes for me.
    If I get to the point where I need GPS to get to the feed store, I'll just give the ladies anything out of the fridge that looks "iffy".

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a mobile (cell) 'phone but I hardly ever use it. Most of the time it's actually switched off. It's not one of the fancy ones that does everything anyway - it makes calls and receives calls and that's about it. It was bought for me in case I needed in an emergency but, so far, I haven't needed to use it for that. As for GPS I don't see the point when there are perfectly good maps available and they don't distract you when you're driving by telling you where to go. I've never even thought of joining Facebook or twitter and never will.

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

trust me Eileen... when you had a semi behind you while merging into 6 lanes of traffic in Riverside Ca... and all you can see is the grill of his truck and he is reading a paper map you will be screaming at him to get a GPS... riding your bumper to the next exit and he follows you there too.....I was resigned to having him drive over me that day.

Jewell likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Carolyn that's why Ian never reads the map himself - I do it for him. I hate drivers who are looking at maps, texting or eating at the wheel. They just don't seem to realise that they're behind the wheel of a lethal machine that could wipe themselves and others off the face of the earth.

Jewell likes this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a cell phone. When I first got it, I called it my 'kid link' as my kids were home while I was at work. We lived rural and drove older cars and so it was nice to have the phone.
    Now, I use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and sometimes Twitter to keep up with all the business in my crazy life. I drive to a lot of strange places now with my daughter for skating and Siri has saved my sanity while lost on the road many times. It is easy to get lost in all the apps a cell phone offers, if you let it. I don't let it.

Jewell likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Randy and both our daughters update their iPhones every couple of years but they don't stand in line for the Newest Thing and sometimes I get their old one as an upgraded iPod.
    We had our 'land line' disconnected last year and for the first time since 1955 I am living in a house without a standard phone line. It took the telemarketers about 6 months to 'find' the cell phone number and put it on their call lists.

Jewell likes this.
  10. Ryana

Ryana New Seed

I think you should do what makes you comfortable and what is more convenient for you.

eileen likes this.
  11. Rubel

Rubel New Seed

Who knows, maybe you'll eventually get the hang of it and find it useful for staying connected with your loved ones. And the whole "Paper or Plastic?" at the grocery store, ugh, that can be a real brain teaser, but kudos to you for coming up with a clever response. And let's be real, who doesn't love a good fart joke now and then?
    At the end of the day, it's all about finding what works for you and what makes you comfortable. You can also check out Fanhype. It's a great community for fans of all sorts of things, and you never know, you might just discover something new that you like!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    eileen likes this.
  12. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

It seems to me that regardless of your age, you can use social media for any purpose. Facebook and Instagram have a lot of humorous and scientific content. I think that's why a lot of people like those platforms.

eileen likes this.
  13. aminamoss

aminamoss New Seed

Just remember to use social media responsibly and be mindful of your online presence.

eileen likes this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've always likened "smart phones" to those tags that criminals on parole have to wear.
    For many, they are an addiction which they will never acknowledge.
    How important do they consider themselves, that they think it essential that they walk around with it in their hand?

I've a basic mobile, just for emergencies.
    I do subscribe to several hobby related message boards, but not facebook or any other kind of social media. No time or interest.
    I also have a hobby related YouTube channel with 69 videos, over 300,000 hits and over 400 subscribers, though I've not uploaded anything for a year. I don't consider myself important enough to either appear or speak on any of them. Any necessary information is in the write-up below each video.

Sjoerd, Logan and eileen like this.
  15. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

Hey there! Joining social media can be a great way to connect with friends, share experiences, and discover interesting content. It's all about finding the platforms that suit your interests and values. Whether you're into staying updated, showcasing your creativity, or simply having fun, there's something for everyone. Enjoy the journey, and happy connecting!

16. Dariasolv

Dariasolv New Seed

Haha, this post had me cracking up! It's so relatable how technology seems to evolve faster than we can keep up, right? I can totally picture the struggle with those gadgets and devices. And the GPS lady's attitude – hilarious!
    But you know what? It's all about finding our own rhythm in this tech-filled world. If joining social media like Facebook feels like a fun adventure, why not give it a shot? Who knows, you might end up enjoying it, just like some of us do. And hey, if you're ever up for more digital exploration, you might want to buy established Twitter accounts to boost your online presence.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023