Sjoerd, I don't mean to brag...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by EJ, Jun 9, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

...and I can't even prove it with pics yet as they are on the camera which daughter has hidden, but this week we have feasted on our first spuds of the season - Kestrel, and our first courgettes of the summer - Soleil. :) :) :) Pics will follow. Gloat gloat gloat.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhh! ...YOU!
    I am going right out and dig around tomorrow to check mine.....I am well and truly jelous! :D

Well...maybe I will wait until saturday.
    No courgettes here either. :(

Oh me, oh my......beaten yet again.

doubt that I will have anything to harvest just yet, as muy garden plot neighbour, Old Willem, had dug up his first harvest last week (he is always the first one to harvest spuds on out complex)....They were Frieslanders.
    I believe that he planted his potatos three weeks before I planted mine.

I shall have to check my little black book and see which ones are likeliest to have harvestable-sized tubers.

Oh, I just can't get oveeeerrrrr this nesw! :D
    Congrats.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Oh, a competition! I didn't plant spuds. But, today I picked four tomatoes and five cucumbers and I have 3 Japanese eggplants about ready to pick and I have a yellow zuchinni about 4-5 inches long. Things should be ready in a couple of days.
    Congratulationsn EJ. The first ones always taste the best.
    dooley

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You lucky girl!! It will still be a while before I get any produce from my garden - other than spinach and radishes :)

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Only vegie doing anything here is the garlic planted in the fall. :-? I a sorry sight with drool hanging off the corners of my mouth. :D Might have to hit the farmer's market for some vegie starts.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D Way to go EJ! Sjoerd will have to get his act together in order to beat you to it.

We might try some Jerusalem artichokes this week-end. Bar rhubarb we've got nothing harvestable yet.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I went out to the lottie and dug down to have a look-see underground.....but none were big enough to harvst yet. :(

I continue to harvest the broad beans and endive though. The peas have started now........
    bottom line is though....I do not yet have any spuds above ground and on the table.
    The Intn'l. Kidneys are looking good above ground though and putting out flowers.

9. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Congrats on your harvests everybody. Just putting seeds in the ground here in Oz. Ummm.... You grow kidneys Sjoerd????

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Deb-- I grow International Kidneys (known on the Isle of Jersey and "Jersey Royals"). :)
    They don't want you to call them "Jersey Royals" if they are not grown on the Island.

Whatever name you want to call it--it is an excellent spud.

11. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Thanks for that. We are extremely limited in the varieties available to WA growers, mainly due to the diseases in other states. Very tough measures with quarantine. Hadn't heard of that variety before. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more unknowns here. Cheers.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I recall the quarantine measures at the borders of states there. They were quite strict, and since I was spending 6months there and travelling about, I had to be aware of this and not have any fresh veg on board when I approached the border.

13. GMB27

GMB27 Seedling

Well done EJ! Cant say the same here unfortunately, there are a few courgettes on the plants but nowhere near ready to go in the pan just yet! although my toms are coming along nicely :)

14. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

heehehehe...picked another 3 courgettes today, a bag full of peas, broadbeans, and a bucket full of raspberries. And of course, I dug another Kestrel spud plant. Thanks to the rain the taters are bigger which is great, so we will be having a few of those with our tea, with lashings of butter. :)

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... :D

Now yer adding insult to injury, Emma. hahaha.