Snowpocalypse 2016. **more pics

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I know that for many of you snow is a common event, and you measure it in feet, not inches. But we Nashvillians are not used to that white stuff falling from the sky, so when it does it's a major event.

There are runs on the grocery store, folks hole up and stockpile bread and milk, and those who have fireplaces start burning everything they can get their hands on. ;)

Conditions have been dire for several days now.....we've had ice accumulations, school closings, countless wrecks on the freeway that have stopped traffic for hours, and all manner of weather events that have been reported on the news.

Round two is hitting us right now....predictions of anywhere from 3 - 12" of snow depending on what channel you watch or weather link you access. Regardless, it's white, and sticking, and not expected to let up till sometime tomorrow. I'll be posting updates as conditions change.

Welcome to Nashville Snowpocalypse 2016.....and so it begins.

[​IMG]

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh dear Ronni.
    But I do have to say that the piccy which you just posted looks like the front of a Christmas Card.

Ronni likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What you are getting now was just a little bit of rain when it passed over me yesterday...there wasn't even half an inch in the gauge afterwards. It must have been really saving itself for you all. Take care and hopefully none of your have to go anywhere for the time being.

Ronni likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We just got a call from our son in Nashville and he said the roads are solid ice. As soon as he got to work they told him to go home. Too bad they didn't call be before he left his house! Stay safe Ronni!

Ronni likes this.

Advertisement
  5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Stay safe and warm Ronni, we'll be watching for your updates.

Here in eastern NC, we rarely see much snow or ice accumulation either, so I know exactly what you are describing about the frenzied mania in stores and on the roads. The same thing has been going on here since yesterday when the Governor declared a state of emergency for most parts of the state. Predictions are that in the mountainous, western part of NC they may get from 12" - 18" of snowfall, with lesser amounts in the central and eastern parts of the state.
    Only a sliver of coastal NC is expected to be spared and get only rainfall, and I am SO grateful to be included in that area - it's still a bit of a nail-biter though, since the dividing line between rain and sleet/snow is only 30-50 miles inland - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ronni likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Having lived in upstate NY for years, I sympathize with all those who are experiencing cold, snow, and ice. It isn't pleasant (if we hadn't been on the phone, I would have killed my mother-in-law when we were in a blizzard and she said, "But isn't it pretty!")
    Hoping you all stay safe, warm, and the electric doesn't go out. Please keep us updated on your status.

Ronni likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Snowman building in progress.
    [​IMG]

5+ inches and still coming down!
    [​IMG]

Brave little bird!
    [​IMG]

My porch ornaments are drowning in snow!
    [​IMG]

Sure is pretty though :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 a.m. and 11 a.m.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    xantedeschia and Kay like this.
  8. toni

But isn't it pretty!! I would love to be enjoying some of that pretty right now. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area averages 232 days of sunshine a year, sunshine is so over rated, I personally would really enjoy a few days of clouds and snow.

Ronni likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Stay safe Ronni and all of our members who will be experiencing the heavy snowfall!

Ronni likes this.
  10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'd be driving around in my truck wondering why all you silly people didn't have your trash out to be picked up.

Tooty2shoes, Ronni and marlingardener like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, you are treading on thin ice with that "pretty" comment;)! I hope you get a skiff of snow since you enjoy it and I hope we avoid it since we don't.
    My sister-in-law and family are in Maryland, so I'm keeping a close eye on their weather forecast.
    I do sincerely hope that this mega-storm turns out to be no more than a usual winter snow event, and that everyone is safe.

Ronni likes this.
  12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, we just lost power. :(

About 3,000 homes are already without. I thought we'd dodged that particular bullet. Clearly not!

At least, if it lasts awhile, none of the refrigerator food will spoil.... We'll just put it outside to keep cool. :like:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. toni

Well shoot, a skiff of snow is hardly worth the effort, I expected more of a curse than that ;). I guess I will have to hope for a white Valentines day.
    Ronni, take care with the candles while the power is off.

Ronni likes this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

We're pretty much stranded here. The only exit out of the neighborhood is hilly, winding and covered with about 6" of packed snow, ice and slush. It's all but impassable.

Temps are predicted to hit the teens tonight so it's gonna quickly start getting ccccold! If the outage lasts thru the night it's a good thing my sweet daughter has a linens obsession....at least we have plenty of blankets and covers!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  15. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Oooo, keep warm Ronni - I hope they get the power restored in your area quickly.:like:

It's been thunder storming here most of the day, rain coming down like mad at times - but I'm thanking my lucky stars that what's coming down is wet but not white!

Ronni likes this.